Pilot light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
friends Myson Apollo boiler pilot light is acting up. I have changed the thermocouple and used a compressed air line to clean the pilot injector.. when testing the pilot light i noticed that the pilot flame was being blown downwards by incoming air from the flue. The 'sound' from the flame at this time decreased. when the wind died down the flame intensified and reached the tip of the thermocouple, pilot light stayed alight and the boiler fired. However the pilot light went out the following day and she hasn't been able to relight it. I had tried adjusting the gas pressure for the pilot light as per the manual, but this seemed to have little if any effect on the strength of the pilot light flame.. prior to all this her boiler had been clanking on firing up and pilot light would go out, presumably due to the overhead stat kicking in. pump problem has now been sorted. Your help would be gratefully appreciated

Sponsored Links
My turn to be the ba5tard I suppose.
As you don't know what the problem is we'll assume you're not corgi reg, or you would. So we tell you not to play with it cos Apollos are one of the most dangerous boilers around. :cry:
Get a pro to
1) Fix it and
2) check what you've been doing.

mal-165 said:
friends Myson Apollo boiler pilot light is acting up. I have changed the thermocouple and used a compressed air line to clean the pilot injector.. when testing the pilot light i noticed that the pilot flame was being blown downwards by incoming air from the flue. The 'sound' from the flame at this time decreased. when the wind died down the flame intensified and reached the tip of the thermocouple, pilot light stayed alight and the boiler fired. However the pilot light went out the following day and she hasn't been able to relight it. I had tried adjusting the gas pressure for the pilot light as per the manual, but this seemed to have little if any effect on the strength of the pilot light flame.. prior to all this her boiler had been clanking on firing up and pilot light would go out, presumably due to the overhead stat kicking in. pump problem has now been sorted. Your help would be gratefully appreciated

Whilst your probably trying to help someone out, you dealing with a dangerous boiler, and you think pro's will help you out.

Well sorry, no chance.

If you can explain why the boiler is behaving this way, you can fix it. So stop throwing parts at it. Your underserstaing of an overheat stat is way off the mark aswell.

Earn your spare cash cutting grass for your granny's neighbour.

David

I have no reason to believe that he is not CORGI registered as yet.

Every body be aware that most registered people would hesitate to give advice on CORGI aspects unless we were quite sure that you are indeed registered. So any RGIs quote your CORGI number so that we can feel comfortable helping you.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile is it wise to give such info on a public forum?? RGI or not??

For your information my friend i would consider my professional qualification i.e. Engineering Masters degree is probably somewhat better than yours! You make also like to know that when a new overheat stat was fitted, the problem was solved, so much for me being of the mark!! (in your opinion). I understand, to an extent, your concerns over 'unqualified' persons working on gas appliances but i do have to say that your manner and attitude are unnecessary and quite frankly, rather sad. Maybe you should spend some of your time undertaking some interpersonal skills development course!

My friend is a Harley Street Doctor, does that make hin a boiler engineer, I think not.

As for your friends boilers is she safe, have you put the boiler back together and done all the test, I think not.

When the guys say these's boilers are unsafe in the wrong hands you would do well to listen

ahhh john you have to remember we are only the great unwashed

this bloke knows better (as usual) thats why the lemon is picking brains on here :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

However the pilot light went out the following day and she hasn't been able to relight it. I had tried adjusting the gas pressure for the pilot light as per the manual, but this seemed to have little if any effect on the strength of the pilot light flame..

So mal-165...why is that?

friends Myson Apollo boiler pilot light is acting up. I have changed the thermocouple and used a compressed air line to clean the pilot injector..
And no doubt you have checked for leaks when adjusting the pilot restrictor.

Presumably, you did actuallly remove the injector as these will always need a pin vice with a suitable stong (and very thin strong wire to clean).

Well, using my crystal ball, you didnt and now thats exactly what your going to do, thus contravining gas regs.

when testing the pilot light i noticed that the pilot flame was being blown downwards by incoming air from the flue.

Why was that happening, in your masters engineering opinion?

You strike me as someone who thinks he knows a lot, but really knows nothing, comes on here for advise which he cant understand, and gets annoyed with engineers who thinks he is way above his depth.

Go kill your neighbour and spout some degree to a judge who sends you down.

David

For your information my friend i would consider my professional qualification i.e. Engineering Masters degree is probably somewhat better than yours!
Nope, done that, and more, irrelevant qualifications.
Done the corgi too
and you are a dork.

you could be being a little hard on someone who is obvioiously not a complete eejit. However, I don't know what's wrong with professional engineers, words which make my heart sink are "It's OK, I'm an electronic engineer" ... which means that they've fiddled and not found

He obviously considers himself competent, and that's his call, and thaat's all that's legaly required, - he asked for advice.

He's asked for advice, and he's been given it - which is to leave it to someone who knows what he's doing. He clearly doesn't know how to clean a pilot, or anything about positive pressure boilers, or that the pilot adjuster could leak gas, or how they normally work...
He demonstrated that he isn't competent, in his first post, and that he'd gone beyond his abilities.

Someone who objects to good advice on the grounds that his education (in irrelevant fields) is better than his advisors, isn't likely to get very far with them.

He wouldn't be incapable of understanding what he needs to know, but it's too much to expect to get all the info he might need, from a forum like this. Nobody for instance would go into detail about how to test for gas leaks or leaks at the boiler case seal. If he gets it wrong he could could have a fire, or an explosion, or die of CO poisoning. Apollo's killed about 40 people in their first few years, I was told.

Someone with an engineering education should have learned that there might be more to something than is obvious to the uninformed.
(As opposed to someone with a science-only education, who might have to much faith in theory!)

changed an apollo last week. it was repaired by a neighbour a month ago then kept setting off CO alarm.neighbour fitted new CO alarm which went off more often.
a friend at transco reccomended me.
heat exchanger was 80% blocked,lack of brushing out.case seal was missing on top and left side [replaced with tape] and combustion chamber was warped due to excessive heat going no where.oh i lie going into bedroom.

well thats my pennys worth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back