Pineboard 10mm - Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Thanks for your previous replies on the subject of pineboard.

I have managed to find a UK supplier of 10mm pineboard - the size, and especially the weight, suit me fine.

So my question is as follows; Is 10mm pineboard a stable material which is not subject to 'cupping' ?

I used 12mm redwood and had poor results, which is why I looked for pineboard.

Any advice on the use of 10mm pineboard in relation to making a very small cabinet containing drawers would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
well yes any wood will warp and twist if theres any inbuilt stresses

how are you going to join the components together!!!!!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Big All.

Point taken.

But is pineboard likely to warp and twist less than 'normal wooden planks' ?

Thanks

BillyBilly said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply Big All.

Point taken.

But is pineboard likely to warp and twist less than 'normal wooden planks' ?

Thanks

depends on a lot of things as i say any inbuilt stresses can come out any time even with good quality seasoned timber but a lot less so

store you timber in a cool dry room between 8 and 15% and see if it moves

if its a good supplier youll be fine 90% of the time

my concern is 10mm is only sutable for glue joints and small pannel pins

you cant realy screw into it as its fragile

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Big All.

I'm using some very narrow, but relatively long screws ie 3mm head x 8mm long, and they 'grab' excellently. I am also using glue as a back up.

I've produced one cabinet using 12mm redwood (not pineboard) and the finished product is super, apart from the fact that the redwood (plank) has cupped slightly. Because the cabinet is so small, the cupping is noticeable. Hence me looking for a more stable material.

12mm pineboard (from what I've read on the internet) seems to be what I'm looking for, but the company that can supply in the UK only does 10mm. This size actually suits me better due to the lighter weight.

The cupping is my main concern. Presumably the reason why pineboard is produced is to eliminate (as far as possible) the cupping that is encountered with 'plank' wood.

Looking forward to your response.

not realy much responce i can give :D :D :D :D

wood laminated together with the growth rings up then down alternativly is more stable as the movement averages out

find yourself a joinery shop with planer and a thicknesser
and if they dont sell boards laminated together buy your 18mm boards from the sheds acclimitise then in a cool dry room [8-15%] for a few weeks and if they move your joinery shop can plane flat and thickness to whatever you require probably for beer money if you get to know the lads at the back door :D ;)

Thanks Big All.

From your reply I summise that 10mm laminated should, in theory, be more stable than 10mm (or 12mm) plank wood.

The lads at the joinery shop back door are all big drinkers ;)

Good talking to you.

yes a lot more stable even if they arn't all rotated because different bits will move differently

roughly what size are your chest off drawers going to be!!!
and for a top class finnish make shure there is no end grain showing or as little as possible with none facing forward :D

The pine board should be more stable than a single piece of wood of the same width, but this will depend on how the solid timber was cut, quater sawn boards will not cut anywhere near as much as crown cut boards. If you do get anyone to machine a thicker board down for you make sure they take a somilar amount of wood off each side, this will help prevent cupping.

Also remember that if you apply any finish to the outside you shold do the same to the inside to keep the moisture uptake of the two sides balanced.

10mm board lends itself to far more joint options than just glue, screws pins, you could use comb/finger joints, dovetails splined or keyed mitres, rebates etc but all will depend on the available tooling.

Jason

Thanks Big All and Jason.

From your comments, I'm going to give the 10mm a go.

I'll let you know the outcome in a couple of weeks.

still curious to know what size your cabinet with drawers is going to be :D :D ;)

Big All,

The answer is small - about 90mm high, 240mm wide, 190mm deep, with two or three drawers. This is why I need 10mm material. I don't think it would look 'balanced' if I used 18mm ;)

Thanks for your input on the subject. Let's hope the 10mm doesn't cup like the 12mm plank did.

the fact its assembled will help keep it in shape ;)

curious to know what runners youll be using!!!

or are you just going for sitting on top of each other!!!

Hi

I'm not using runners as such. One shaped single piece of pineboard will be used for the area where the drawer sits/runs, and the same piece will be the front division to separate the drawers.

Hope that makes sense :LOL:

aaa got yah like three videos in there cardboard boxes stacked on top of each other :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back