Pipe Corrosion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My six year old copper pipes are springing leaks. My water has been tested and is not aggressive. I have several lots of pipes and some newer installations by different plumbers as the result of "pin hole" leaks which formed over the past two years. Regardless of lot, age, and installer, all my pipes seem to be suffering the same fate. I have been told that my problem may be electrolysis.

I checked my ground, hot water heater, and dishwasher and all are fine. However, my well pump has a slight charge to when the electric is shut off at the box. With no electric going to the pump, I am still getting about 1 volt back over the lines coming from the pump into the house. I really can't figure out how that is possible. My only thought is that there is some electric leaking from the main underground line into my house. Is less than 1 volt enough to cause corrosion?

Sponsored Links
My house was built in the early 80's and last year I too had 2 leaks involving pin holes.
The problem in question with mine was that in the 80's a hell of a lot of copper pipe was being brought in from eastern europe.
This stuff was very cheap and cheerful and as a result a lot of plumbers used it cutting costs, and of course getting an extra few pints out of the change.!!

I am faced with having to change all of my pipe work sooner or later.

This letter could have been written by me.
For 17 years, Iv'e been asking about the maintenance of the surface water sump drainage pump. Four years ago, our elevator cylinder leaked due to corrosion beow the ground water line. At this point, I inspected the pump myself and got a severe electric shock from the water in the sump. The sump is about 60" from the cylinder. I alerted the elevator repair workman who confirmed electrical leakage.As usual, my advice to the strata management, and the strater council was ignored. A few weeks ago I grapled with the "strater Manager" and as a result, the pump was found at fault and replaced.
Over the same period, we have experinced leakage to hot water pipes that are heat traced. The plumber doing repairs got an electric shock from the pipe and heat tracer.
There are coincedent damage areas on the pipe and tracer wire braid armour.

It's my view that the corrosion in both cases has been caused over a period of time by the "defective insulation" of the sump pump. I have megger tested pieces of tracer(500v) and show very high megohms.
Somehow, the pipe MUST be at a potential relative to the tracer armour to have given the plumber a shock. The total cost of both repairs has been CDN$59,000.00 I would like to allocate legal liability to ""someone""-but who?? Ron Hutchinson P.ENg

Will somebody please comfirn receipt of this momo--Thanks. [email protected] B.C Canada

Sponsored Links
I too have had numerous pinhole leaks in my lines and was told this may be due to proxy leverage or un-compression of the valve stems. I quickly replaced my valve stems (2 pounds at Genie's) and lo and behold, no pinhole leaks. My last sumption was to caress the leader ticks but alas, I didn't have to. Try out my suggestion and it will work for you.

cheers!
JC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back