Pipe Freezing Kits

Bas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer some words of wisdom with regard to the pipe freezing kits on the market? I'm thinking of buying them to do small jobs like rad valve changes but feel a little sceptical...

Sponsored Links
they r quite god the ones i have used are the aerosol type like the ones from b&q just remember to read the instructions properly as you have to wait up to 10mins for it to finish freezing hope this helps :p

I personally would say forget it expensive, nasty fumes etc. Why not buy a bunging kit, presuming you are on an open vented system, re-usable again and again for those simple jobs like a single rad valve.

Sponsored Links
Please could someone advise what a Bunging kit?, I need to change some lockshield valves to TRV's and don't fancy draining down the whole system. Can anyone advise?
The system is your typical Expansion tank in loft, hot water cylinder and Ideal Classic Boiler with wall mounted programmer. Thank you

:?:
Any advice on a bunging kit? Have searched the web and found some pretty exotic answers but none relating to plumbing!

ollski said:
I personally would say forget it expensive, nasty fumes etc. Why not buy a bunging kit, presuming you are on an open vented system, re-usable again and again for those simple jobs like a single rad valve.

Have searched on the internet but couldnt find any matches. Any suggestions or links please??

Not yet.... was trying to find out a bit more on techniques and I have never heard of a bunging kit.

Having just retired I am finding out just how many jobs there are to do round the house!

to be honest neither had i (heard of bunging kit) good luck with your retirement

A bunging kit is simply 2 rubber bungs, 1 seals the feed from your f&e tank, it is cone shaped at one end and just pushes in until it seals. The other on pushes either into or over your vent pipe. Providing these make a tight seal you can then remove a component anywhere in that system which, as long as you only have 2 open ends, will hold.

i searched on screwfix for bunging kit, no joy, but i did find
91325_l.jpg
when searching for bung, i suppose its a bit too big

ollski said:
A bunging kit is simply 2 rubber bungs, 1 seals the feed from your f&e tank, it is cone shaped at one end and just pushes in until it seals. The other on pushes either into or over your vent pipe. Providing these make a tight seal you can then remove a component anywhere in that system which, as long as you only have 2 open ends, will hold.
So I'm guessing the way this works, it create an airlock ????

just been to b & r (q) have seen bunging kit cost £17.00 and its not called bunging kit, it is ttwo rubber conical shaped wedges, and says it does not create airlock, saves time from draining system blah, blah, blah, oh and blah

Breezer - many thanks for the info and your good wishes. Loved the 'Bung' picture - but perhaps 'bunging' a plumber some money is the best answer. Glad in a way I retired early because the amount of work I have to do around this place would kill a 65 year old! So far in just one month I have replaced two radiators, redecorated the entrance hall, stairs and first floor passageway including fitting a dado rail, replaced a waste disposal unit, decorated daughters bedroom ... think work was less stressful and tiring than this is!

Geoff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back