pipe knocking

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Tomswan, 15 Oct 2021.

1. Tomswan

Tomswan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I realise there are threads around this, but I haven't found the symptom I have, so maybe someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

After the central heating has been on for a while a loud rapid fire knocking starts. It stops the instant I turn the tap on (have been turning hot water tap on and don't know if it would also work if I turned cold water tap on).

I let the tap run for a bit, then turn it off. Sooner or later the loud noise starts again and I have to repeat the process.

The only way to stop it for good is to turn off the central heating (combi boiler).

I thought it might be an air lock. I bled all the radiators this morning but no air came out.

Any suggestions?

2. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like a failing float valve in the feed and expansion cistern, unless you have a sealed system/Combi boiler?

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Tomswan

Tomswan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

It's a combi boiler. I can have the central heating on for
    hours with no noise, but then it will start. I thought it might be heat related. I don't have a thermostat in the house, although the temperature on the boiler is not set very high.

5. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Does the pressure rise at all, or do you lose pressure frequently? What make/model of boiler?

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Tomswan

Tomswan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I haven't been keeping tabs on it. I have just had a look and the pressure is 1.5, dead in the middle of the green.
    It's a Worcester heatslave 2.

Ive got the hot water on now and there is no noise. I will leave it on to see if a noise starts up without the central heating being turned on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1