Pipe leak in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have a leaking pipe in the concrete floor under my kitchen.

About the time our washing machine failed, we noticed that there was a damp patch under it and the surrounding lino.

Even though it's been replaced, the leak is spreading. Increasing areas of lino are "creaking" and a damp patch has appeared in the floor of an adjacent hall cupboard.

Since we're in the process of selling our house to a developer (moving out in 2-3 months) and don't want to spend money that we don't need to, what are our options?

The current symptoms are as above, plus increasing levels of condensation and the beginnings of a little mould on the wall near the washing machine.

We're planning to call in a local plumber to see if he can isolate the downstairs hot water. We're also off out to get a dehumidifier.

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks in advance,

Nigel Day

Sponsored Links
That's the problem with pipes in concrete.

The best option is to replace the under-concrete run with fresh pipe.
It shouldn't cost too much.

Or just put up with the problem, until you move out.

I assume that the property is being demolished (selling to developer), becuase if it isn't, you will have to disclose the problem to them (Possibly knocking ££££ of your house.

Thanks for the help.

I'm getting a local plumber in to have a look. I want to avoid work and cost if possible and I'm wondering what, if any, short-term serious problems I might face? I'm off now to get a dehumidifier as there's a fair bit of condensation on the kitchen windows in the morning......

Nigel

I fix quite a few leaks with Radweld. Inject it into a drain cock, (can't inject it into a radiator as it blocks the bleed valve hole. Run system for a couple of hours, and with luck it might be ok.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Oilman but it's in the hot water system, not the heating system.

Heating's OK, we get an airlock at the kitchen sink and it's well awy from the radiator pip flows.

Nigel

Oops, sorry.

In that case cut the pipe above the floor at the source end, and run a new pipe above ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back