PIR & Photocell for outside lantern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've searched the forum with little succes so wonder if there is actually a way to do the following:

I have an existing external PIR & outside lantern, fed directly from the consumer unit in the garage. The PIR no longer works - (lens is broken) and I am intending to replace.

I would like to be able to wire the lantern so that the following happens:

1. The light comes on automatically at dusk and stays on from an adjustable period of 3-8 hours ie so that the light is on until continuously until, say 11pm. I have seen photo cells that have this feature.

2. I would then like it to revert to operate in PIR mode providing a security feature until dawn (using the photocell within the PIR).

Is there any way of wiring a PIR and photocell to achieve the desired outcome, as I suspect it may not be possible?

Thanks in anticipation!

Sponsored Links
Have you fitted one of these photocells before pensdown? Are they any good, they look like a really good idea. How do they know what time it is?

It’s a clever little thing. It measures the amount of daylight/dark hours over a 3 day period and from that it works out what time of the year it is! It then automatically adjusts throughout the year to turn off at around midnight and on around 5

We used one to control some forecourt lighting and it worked well.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy - I was hoping it could be done - though was concerned that one of either the PIR or photocell would cease to work by combining outputs and effectivily having two switches triggering independently.

Drawing the circuit with the two "switches" in parallel clarifies that it will work, so thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back