Planning permission and building regs - final certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the early stages of selling my house. About 30 years ago I built an extension - got the usual planning and building regulation permissions. I cannot now find any final certificates which I believe I need to show the vendors solicitors that the work was carried out satisfactorily and in accordance with the plans, can't recall ever seeing any final certs - or maybe after 30 years they have been destroyed. Anyone know the position Indeed, would I have been expected to retain these for 30 odd years ?? - I heard somewhere that an Insurance Indemnity policy may be required, if so, who pays the premium ?

Sponsored Links
We've just moved into a new (30 year old) house, which had a conservatory on the back, for which no planning permission, building regs or elctricity company approval (buried cables in the area) could be provided. Our solicitors refused to continue the deal until the vendors bought the indemnity policy. I think it cost around £150, one-off. It's not on either party to pay for the policy, but it's usually down to the vendors to keep the buyer happy.

Hi,

We had the same thing, buying a house with a conservatory that had no planning, building regs etc, our solicitor requested that the seller paid for the insurance policy £169 (if i remember) or the offer was to be reduced by 10k to cover the cost of potentially knocking down and rebuilding to present regs etc.. Needless to say the seller paid up and the deal was not held up.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you got the approval in the first place i wouldnt worry, the solicitor for the buyer should do searches for planning permission and the building regs certs are a little irrelevant after 30yrs.

Oh and by the way to the others who responded conservatories dont fall under planning permission or building regs.. so not sure what those insurance premiums will cover you for.

Conservatories MAY need to adhere to building regs and I have a letter from my local council stating I should contact the relevant department to be sure. Also, most councils will require that you ask them if you need planning permission and they will respond telling you if you need to apply in your particular instance.

If it's less than a certain size (30m sq), your property is not already extended, and it can be closed off from the main house, then it is likely that you would not need permission, as it would come under "Permitted Development". With plumbed in heating, larger conservatories, open plan to the house, you may need permission, but your council WILL have to decide.

You are not likely to need it built to building regs if the following conditions are met:

* The conservatory has an area of less than 30 square metres.
* If you have a radiator in the conservatory then it must have a thermostatically control.
* The conservatory can be closed off from the main house by a door or other barrier.
* The conservatory walls should be more than 75% glazed.
* Any glazing in the conservatory must satisfy Approved Document N, that is break safely (either be toughened or laminated) or if it is ordinary glass it must be thick enough.
* The conservatory must have a transparent or translucent roof.
* The conservatory is situated at ground level.

But, to be sure the council don't come and knock it down, and you're not on the next edition of the local evening news, check with your council.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back