planning permission for garden equipment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the deal on planning permission for sheds and play houses etc? Neighbour has just erected a play house that nearly three metres tall by 2 metres by one and half metres on the boundary of our properties ( no fences between gardens). its very dominant and has window facing our property.

Sponsored Links
As breezer mention the BCO, this will give you some idea of it,

Planning Permission
Generally our buildings are classified as "portable" and don't usually require planning permission. However it is always best to contact your local planning officer for clarification.

There may be restrictions in your local area. Also bear in mind that as soon as the building is used for sleeping accommodation or employment it will then fall under building regulations

As a general guideline, buildings under 30 square metres do not require planning permission as long as the following criteria is followed:

1) Under 20 square metres, the building must be sited at least 5m away from the main property and not between the property and the main highway.

2) The size of the building must not exceed 50% of the size of the land surrounding the property.

3) The building must not exceed a height of 4m - The Garden Office does not exceed 4m in height.

4) When the building is between 20-30 square metres there must be a space of at least 1m all round to any adjoining property or boundary – this is not applicable to theGarden Office but we recommend a space of at least 1m from any boundary or obstruction in order to aid assembly.

However, local conditions may prevail and it is always best to contact your Local Planning Office for clarification. There may be restrictions and covenants, such as proximity to boundaries or other buildings, or you may live in a conservation area, and a short phone call to your Local Planning Office will bring peace of mind.

I seen somewhere that as it's wooden there's no need for permisson. Is this right?

Sponsored Links
no, there was a well publicised case near us where a family was ordered to take down a childrens tree house due to its size and height

Yep, definitely a 'myth' about the 'if it's wooden...........'

I am not sure where you are from, but Scotland has different planning permissions too. I vagualy recall there is something about distances to roads too :confused:

As others have said, it is best to get in touch with your local council (planning department) to get more info about it.

If you have no joy, remember that wood ignites better when dry or doused with petrol :LOL: :LOL:

Don't really want to cause problem with neighbours but wish they would think first!! We are expected to bend over backwards to incorporate their needs in any thing we do but they can do what ever they want!!! If I had children I would put one (bigger of course!) with windows looking in at them to see if they like it!! ( They draw their curtains every time we are in the garden!! I don't think they realise I'm as blind as a bat!! ) so, unforunately, it might be a bit weird if we get one, i suppose I could say it was for bird wtatching!!! :LOL:

Any ideas of what plants grow big and quick? Maybe with a few spikes on!!! :evil:

In a previous garden I had something called a 'Blueblossom' (sorry, can't recall the full name). It was a shrub and grew VERY quickly and I believe it can reach a height of almost 20ft. It didn't really have the spikes you require, but I suppose you could hammer some 2" nails through it, or bond broken glass to it with 'No More Nails' or similar :LOL: :LOL:

I will look into that. Few spikes would be nice, but maybe something that attracts bees is just as good!! So maybe this will be the plant for that!! :LOL:

How about these?

echium.jpg

Called Echium pininana and grow to about 14ft ;)

If you go to the Plantworld website then you can buy seeds for them - Bees love them......

And on the subject of sheds, our last house was built on Duchy of Cornwall land and we had go get planning permission for a 6x6 shed that no one else could see from their gardens then the planning officer sent the forms back and asked if we were planning on having a window and rear and front exits in case of fire! I kid you not :rolleyes:

Did they ask you to to provide signs to point out fire exits!!?? I thought you were allowed anything upto 6 foot 6.
I like that plant I may get some of them, even if i don't put them there! We have a big garden and there is always a space for some more plants! :LOL:
I was thinking I need an evergreen there really( to blot it out forever!!). Is that one an annual?

Swiped from the BBC gardening website.....

Common Name: Tree echium
Genus: Echium
Species: pininana
Skill Level: Experienced
Exposure: Full sun
Hardiness: Half Hardy
Soil type: Well-drained/light
Height: 400cm
Spread: 90cm
Time to plant seeds: February to May

Anybody who has been on holiday to the Canary Islands will have probably noticed the flower-heads of this plant growing out of the lush undergrowth. Echium pininana is a stunning plant for any sheltered border providing a tropical touch to the summer. In its first year echium forms a low rosette of silver, hairy, spear-like leaves. The following year it suddenly spurts into growth and produces a single 4m (13.1ft) high flower spike festooned with blue, funnel-shaped flowers.

After flowering the plant dies, but not before scattering its seeds. In mild parts of the UK these may germinate where they land, but in colder areas seeds should be sown under glass in spring. Plants flower every second year, so sow seeds every year to ensure a continuous supply of blooms.
.........................................................................................................

I think they wanted to know everything else about the shed Lisa! There was me and hubby both standing in the local council offices arguing with this jobsworth planning guy, in the end, after 4 re-submissions and
six months, we finally got the go ahead to erect our shed :rolleyes:

lisap said:
Whats the deal on planning permission for sheds and play houses etc? Neighbour has just erected a play house that nearly three metres tall by 2 metres by one and half metres on the boundary of our properties ( no fences between gardens). its very dominant and has window facing our property.

If the building has a ridged roof it can be up to 4m tall (3m for flat roof). If it made predominantly from combustible material (e.g. wood) then it must be at least 1m from the boundary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back