Planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Considering building a pagoda onto the back of our house. Could anyone tell me if I will need planning permission for this type of structure. I've heard that because it doesn't have a roof, and is within my garden boundaries, it won't be required. Just want to make sure before I start.
Thanks,
Alan

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You will need to submit architects plans, as well as a structural engineers report to ensure that the pergola can take the weight of any climbing plants, hanging baskets etc.

:evil:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i would say not... but if your worried go see the planning office which has leaflets on what and what doesn't need planning permission.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Pagoda (large oriental mult-level tower) wil require planning permission and possibly building regs approval

A Pergola (an open sided and open roof garden structure) will not require planning permission.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
classed as a temporary garden structure so no you dont need it, same as a shed etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't remember if there's a maximum height for this(?) Mind you it would looks stupid if it was too high!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all your advice people, very much appreciated. Looks like I got my japanese terminology mixed up...it is in fact, a pergola. My applogies on that.
With regard to the structures height, won't be much more than 6ft. 6ins. at most I reckon (seeing as i'm only 5ft. 7ins. !!!)
Also, advice on giving a hike up to windows for the criminal element well noted.
Once again, your advice very much appreciated.
Regards,
Alan.

Sponsored Links