Plans - Is Height Dimension Required ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a set of plans drawn, ready for me to submit for approval.
The plans are for a Detached Single Storey Garage to be located in my back garden.
I've noticed though that the height has been missed of the drawings, Will the council require this or will just the length and width be OK ?
All the elevations and layout is drawn and quite alot of detail for other things.
I can't imagine somethin as obvious as the height bein missed out if it was required, So will the council require the actual height or do they have a standard for a single storey ?
I'd phone the guy but hes just gone on his holidays

Sponsored Links
The reason is because garages come under building regulation.

If I remembered that the garage should be no more than 3m high if it's a flat roof and no more than 4m high if it's a pitch roof.

You can get a free booklet from your building control dept for sizes and measurements

breezer said:
I gather you are referring to this point
11) If you are unsure about if you are allowed to build build a..........or size / dimensions of.............
please consult your local planning office (or similar) as it varies from region to region
All I wanted to know is, why would my Architect miss the Height Dimensions off my plans.

Masona - Thanks for your reply, Do you think the council will understand/presume that my Garage is under 4 metres and thats why he hasn't put the height dimension on ?

Sponsored Links
it wasn't meant to be a derogatory reply, just a statemrnt of fact

you said
Aletank said:
[All I wanted to know is, why would my Architect miss the Height Dimensions off my plans.

to which i would say "we know what your architect is thinking"

it may be he forgot, maybe he got distracted, we just don't know

as i said (via 11) best ask your planning office is the height measurement required. That way there can be no argument as to who said what

Aletank said:
Masona - Thanks for your reply, Do you think the council will understand/presume that my Garage is under 4 metres and thats why he hasn't put the height dimension on ?
Yes but do check with your local building control as it may differ in difference area which would be very unusual. Your Architect may have mistaken left the measurement out but not really important as the sizes come under building regulations. There maybe a small print on your drawing somewhere regarding following building regulation. My mate just put up a garage without a drawing providing he meet the building reg spec, stupid isn't it. One of the reason is that your neighbour cannot objects your garage plan because the council are keen to keep cars of the road.

I will check before handing them in ;) Just puts my mind at rest abit thats all.
I went down to the planning office with a rough sketch when I first thought about having a garage built, just enquiring about permission etc and the planning guy said, My rough sketch will probably do for plans :confused: lol - I've had proper plans drawn so there's no mis-understanding between myself,builders and the planning dept etc, only cost £80 also, so well worth it.

Aletank said:
I've had proper plans drawn so there's no mis-understanding between myself,builders and the planning dept etc, only cost £80 also, so well worth it.
Very good point, I always have drawing plans done ( I have 3 on my property even I have built it !) and I do think they are a selling point with drawing plans attached to the deeds, no hassle, no comeback this way.

drawinngs will be to a scale anyway likely 1: 100 so would take only a couple of seconds to to establish actual dimensions 1cm on an orniary ruler equates to a metre on your plans.. note scale could be 1:50.

legs-akimbo said:
drawings will be to a scale anyway likely 1: 100 so would take only a couple of seconds to to establish actual dimensions 1cm on an orniary ruler equates to a metre on your plans.. note scale could be 1:50.
Good thinking ;) The Architect did actually say he's drawn it bigger than i actually asked him, then if the builder needs to make it slightly bigger than i wanted, say for the post positioning etc he can. He said once these plans are passed its OK to make my Garage smaller than the plans but not bigger.
The front & back elevations is drawn to 1:100 scale, i've just measured and the peak of the roof is 4 metres, thats the maximum height allowed. So he's obviously done that then the builder can determine the height, within the 4 metre regulation.
Everythings starting to look OK ;) I'll still ask before putting my plans in though.

Put my plans in today, I asked about the height - they said as long as its in scale and not over the 4m height limit. If its over 4m the dimensions would be required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back