Plant for shade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a good container plant (either flowering or good leaf structure) that is good to put outside the North side of the house? It will only get an hour or so of sun at the end of the day.

Sponsored Links
Hostas are good for shade, the flowers are insignificant but you can get nice foliage shades/colours and they come in a wide variety of varieties ( :eek: ) and sizes.

Slugs love hostas and will eat the entire plant, plus containers offer good protection for slugs to live in, so slug-proof the container. There are very good reports of copper bands that go around the pot and which the slugs can't cross. Try www.greengardener.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Trouble with slug pellets is that they actually ATTRACT slugs, which can have a good nibble befoer they die. Repelling has got to be better.

how about some of these

aspidistra (leaf structure)
aucuba japonica (leaf)
box (leaf and intrseting shapes if trained)
camellia (flowers)
watermelon begonia
wintergreen (berries/flowers leaf)
skimmia japonica (flowers leaf)
magic carpet saxifrage (leaf/flowers)

i find i can never stop bloomin slugs. I dont use pellets due to the impact on wildlife, but there is a relativley new product ive used for the past couple of years which is growing success slug and snail killer. its based on aluminium sulphate and is harmless to other wildlife. You can put it on the soil of the container or pour it staright on the beasties if you go hunting them at night and it dries them up straight away. lasts for about 4-5 days if you put it on the soil and its harmless.

Thanks for the info.

I'm with Thermo on slug control, haven't used the blue pellets for years but use the Growing Success salt .

I tried Hostas a few years ago but just ended up with fat slugs. They (the Hostas) are now in pots that have a copper band round them, that combined with the occasional evening patrol with the Growing Success salt if there is any evidence of slug attack, keeps them looking fine.

I think I may give the japonica a try this year and see what happens.

Min said:
Trouble with slug pellets is that they actually ATTRACT slugs, which can have a good nibble befoer they die. Repelling has got to be better.
Is that like my extremely attractive 16yr old daughter, We get a shed load of testerone enhanced lads baying at our front door, apart from the shotgun, how can I repel them ?

do anything that embarresses your daughter and bombard the boys with questions, or try to befriend them. Seems to work with my 14 year old daughter

Thermo said:
do anything that embarresses your daughter and bombard the boys with questions, or try to befriend them. Seems to work with my 14 year old daughter
I'll try that one Thermo, It seems I only have to draw breath at the mo tho !!!!!!

yes know the feeling, how do i deal with a selfish stroppy teenager without resorting to my chainsaw??

Slug nematodes work brilliantly. Had one application in Amrch last year, hardly saw a slug or snail till the autumn.

Not sure if there is a nematode for the randy sixteen year old boy species tho'.

I've used Nematodes for Leatherjackets. Haven't had any for 3 years now!!

only trouble is, if you get rid of them all you break the food chain and will not encourage other predetors vital for the garden

Srodders said:
I've used Nematodes for Leatherjackets. Haven't had any for 3 years now!!

nematode (eelworm) are great, one dose contains 6 million nematodes which seek out slugs and enter there bodies. Once inside they release a deadly infectious bacteria, which breaks down there insides to soup. All this takes up to 5 days. What a way to die......eaten alive from inside, as you move around. I feel so sorry for them :( .............not! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back