plasma installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone help me with this mess? ( mantle/ hiding wires) Thanks

001.jpg

Sponsored Links
what a mess!

I have installed a few plasmas and what i always recommend is either ' cable chasing' or a false wall.

cable chasing is where you cut a channel in the wall plaster lay the cables in and plaster back over to regain a smooth wall.

a false wall would just be that , a false wall constucted out of tiber frame and plaster board all the wires can then be installed behind it.

if you dont want to do the whole wall you could do like a false chimney breast !!

If you dont want the fire there anymore, which is what it looks like, Then you can put the equipment on the rack in the opening there. You have a stud wall, so it should be easy to cut a hole behind the TV and drop the cables down behind the fire place. The speaker outlets and the other face plate will need moving of course.

Worth noting many manufacturers wont cover TVs that have been mounted above a large heat source such as a room heater.

Crafty said:
If you dont want the fire there anymore, which is what it looks like, Then you can put the equipment on the rack in the opening there. You have a stud wall, so it should be easy to cut a hole behind the TV and drop the cables down behind the fire place. The speaker outlets and the other face plate will need moving of course.

Worth noting many manufacturers wont cover TVs that have been mounted above a large heat source such as a room heater.
your right i dont really want to use the fire place, but if i could get around not diong that? i really dont know??

Sponsored Links
andyboyo said:
what a mess!

I have installed a few plasmas and what i always recommend is either ' cable chasing' or a false wall.

cable chasing is where you cut a channel in the wall plaster lay the cables in and plaster back over to regain a smooth wall.

a false wall would just be that , a false wall constucted out of tiber frame and plaster board all the wires can then be installed behind it.

if you dont want to do the whole wall you could do like a false chimney breast !!
i dont thnk i follow you on the false wall concept. Maybe a diagram?

Sorry, JR, most homes in England are brick wall construction with a layer of plaster over the bricks. this is tricky to route cables through, so andyboyo was suggesting building a stud wall in front of the brick wall. But you have a stud wall there by the look of it, which makes things easier.

You could put your equipment rack in the corner, but this would mean routing cables through the wall to that location. I dont know the regs in America for hidden cables or proximity to heat sources.

you see where the paneling ends, come out 16 inches mantle and place my three components on it then i could tuck thw wires under the tv.

i know the mantle matching the hearth would look good what about that?

i forgot about the houses there. My family (moms)side lives there.

Couple of hours lol. I'd have fitted a plinth heater into the base at floor level, since theres no fire there now ;) :LOL:

ill build a fake front right under the tv to cover the receptacles, then place the components on the mantle seeing no wires. that pic gave me motivation, thanks.

Crafty said:
Couple of hours lol. I'd have fitted a plinth heater into the base at floor level, since theres no fire there now ;) :LOL:
thank you for your advise, i have plenty more projects i will soon be asking about. I bought this house 2000 sq. ft , only the outside done. inside only studs. Ive done the floors, electrical, sheetrock, ect... and i cant even come up with simple ideas..

Ponty said:
Here's one I knocked up in a couple of hours.
DSCF0008.jpg

Wow loving that.....were did you get the wood from as to top one is shaped?

You should also note the hight of the tv in the photo, yours is far too high and will result in neck strain trying to watch it.

Hi,
The top shelf was machined by a friend to my specifications. This is the second top shelf as the new speaker was a bit too big for the first. As for the height of the TV it's perfect. To gauge the height I sat comfortably on the sofa while a friend measured the height of my eyes. This measurement is the distance from floor to the centre of the screen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back