Plasma TV Wall Bracket To Cavity Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help would be appreciated.

Got a 42" inch plasma and looking to fit this to a plasterboard cavity wall. I don't have access to the cavity from above or behind without taking down drick. I have worked with several types of plasterboard screws and found that they are not acceptable to hold this weight and don't want to take the chance of it falling down. It's a new build and as yet I haven't measured the distance between the studs and not sure if the actual studs are strong enough to hold any screws/bolts that I will use to attach the brackets. Based on the above any advise on how I should approach this job.

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
In hind site, you should have thought of thid before you bought the TV.

Why :eek:

I bought the plasma with the table that it's sits on at the present moment. This situation is perfectly acceptable, however I may be investing in a new TV which means that I was considering moving this TV to an alternative room with the OPTION of fixing this to a wall bracket and mounting this on the wall.

Which is why I asked the question in the first instance :D

Hmmm, my next door neighbour had the same issue albeit with a 20" plasma. I know he sorted it in the end but as he works on the oil rigs I can't ask him for a couple of weeks........not much help I know but at least you know someone else has had a similar issue and solved it ;)

Sponsored Links
There's no way plasterboard fittings will hold the weight of a 42'' plasma.

You need to cut out the plaster board to expose the studs, then fix cross noggins (securely!) where you want to mount the tv. It won't be enough to mount the fixing plate directly to the stud as I suspect the plate will be bigger than the stud hence all the screws wont fix properly.

Once you have fitted the cross noggins you can fill the gap with a fresh piece of plaster board cut to size and fill the gaps (or better still reskim the whole wall)

Darren

What about cutting out a section of plywood similar to the size of the tv and then screwing this into the stud and the wall, then fitting the bracket onto ply. Wood that be a possible solution, if so what thickness is best to use

Cheers

I've heard of people using this method but I can't imagine it will look particularly neat. The ply would need to be quite thick to take the screws, at least 20mm I'd say (but bare in mind I'm no expert on this!).

I still suggest cutting out the plaster board. Its not a big job and you'll get a much neater finish with the tv more flush to the wall. Also, with you having a 42'' tv you may get away without having to redecorate as the gap between the studs should be smaller than the width of the tv.

You can hide the cables at the same time. Here's how I did mine ...

The coax (and soon to be HDMI) cables are routed through some trunking box which runs down the wall and through a hole in the floorboards.
The power is taken from the nearest plug socket through a fused flex plate. The wire you see is the TV power lead wired direct into the plate.

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

Darren, thanks for the info and pics. I plan to cut-out a section of the plaster board and place a nogging between the studs the as you have done run some conduit down the inside of the wall. Question is how did fix the conduit all the way down or did you just push it into the hole in the floor that you created. Just one more question where did you get the fused flex plate , screwfix

Cheers

how heavy is this bloody telly four spring toggles will hold approximately 60 kg, provided the plasterboard is screwed sufficiently to the studs and unless the fixing position of the telly is absolutely crucial you should be able to get two fixings into the studs anyway.

Slightly different scenario for me mate. My walls are strammit board (compressed 2'' thick straw). I didn't fancy mounting the tv using just plugs so routed out a channel from floor to ceiling and fixed a piece of 3''x2'' and mounted the tv on this (and I only have a 27'' tv!! Overkill I know!).

Toggles are ok and as chappers says they'll hold the weight but I personnally wouldn't fancy hanging a 30kg £1000+ tv on a few spring bolts. Over time I wouldn't be too suprised if the tv ends up crooked and wobbly since (in my case anyway) they often get bumped into.

Flex plates can be bought pretty much anywhere, BnQ screwfix, etc. It'll be behind the tv so it only needs to be a cheapo plastic one.

One more thing (you probably already know this but just in case), if you've got a Sky+ (or HD) box, buy a magic eye. For £15 you'll be able to use your Sky remote control upstairs to control the Sky box. The signal's sent though the coax.

Every home should have one :D

Chapper, don't exactly know how heavy the b****y telly is but it's heavy enough not to take the risk of spending £1700 on a poxy 4 toggle springs and as the position of the the telly is crucial the positions of the studs do not suit, however I would like to thank you for your valuable input into this conversation. :LOL:

Darren, your advice was much appreciated and certainly confirmed, for me the best way forward regarding this small project. Thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back