Plaster coming away from wall, what should i do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again, wonder if you could help with this one!

I've just removed the old tiles from around the bath before a complete refit and complete re-tile, but the plaster has come away from the wall from about half way down.

The plaster is still flat and mostly undamaged, just a few cracks, but if i push on the wall it moves and has come away from the brick. :(

Can i do anything to rectify this without the need for taking off all the plaster?

Sponsored Links
Look, honestly, you know the answer don't you! :LOL:

If you don't repair the plaster, then this will allow movement... which in turn will crack the tiles and or grouting... leaks, mess etc...

Go on, buy a trowel and have a go, you'll be pleased you did in the end!

:D

Definitely need to get the plaster sorted out. Tiling is only as good as the base you put it on. It's not so difficult to do.
You could use plasterboard or an aquaboard instead of wet plastering, if your wall gives you the depth.

Yea you're right, i will have to put aquaboard on hopefully just the bottom half of that wall!

Any idea what size sheets wickes do and can i just dot n dab it on?

Do i need to use aquaboard in the shower enclosure as well, as this plaster is fine?

Sponsored Links
Scrape the lot off and dry line using dot & dab will leave you with a nice surface to tile to....if you replaster you will have to wait 3-4 weeks to dry out before putting on tiles...use moisture resistant plasterboard.

Or do as I did in my kitchen, use "bonding " plaster to fill the dips/hollows/holes, just make sure it's flush or slightly hollow as it sets like concrete, but boy does it grip !! Spray the walls with a mix of p.v.a./water in your garden sprayer first to aid adhesion.
G'luck so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back