plaster cornice and polyurethane panelling: preparation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have installed onto newly plastered walls/ceiling:
1. plaster cornice
2. polyurethane (plastic-type) panelling on the ceiling.

I have almost finished putting them both up and filling on the gaps.
I am now about to start painting the ceiling/walls.

My question
I shall be using Dulux Trade Supermatt (diluted 30%) to first prime the walls and ceiling. However, should I use the same paint to prime the cornice and panelling or do I have to use PVA solution or similar, first?

The panelling on the ceiling has its mitres filled in with coving adhesive/filler and the corners feel a little fragile, ie. if i take a screwdriver I can easily start scraping away and damaging the corners that were finished with the filler. Surely I cannot paint the panelling while it is in this condition? It needs to be stronger, this is why I was thinking about using a coat of PVA solution, first.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A pic of the cornice that is installed.
Its quite large.
It has a 220mm projection, 150mm height.
cornice.jpg

Here is a pic of the panelling in the middle of the room, incomplete - I still need to do some work on it.
panelling.jpg

Here is the same panelling, in its earlier stages, however, the pic was taken in better lighting and with a wider pan, so you can see it better here.
fullPanelling.jpg

If I take a scrwedriver to the corners of the panelling, it can chip and fall apart quite easily. I finished the corners using decorators caulk. Is there anyway I can strengthen it - perhaps by brushing pva solution on it? Or, do I simply treat the panelling and cornice as I would the ceiling and paint it (mist coat, then 2 coats of 90% Dulux Matt Paint)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back