Plaster or a cement for my moist zones...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering what is best as a backing for tiles in my bathroom around my shower bath. Aqua board was WAY too expensive!

Cement or just plaster. Just a bit concerned about the moisture getting to the plaster.

What Kind of plaster?

Thanks so much in anticipation!

Sponsored Links
If your tiler does a proper job no moisture should get behind at all.
In the splash zone you could put in a couple of aqua boards they are going cheap at the moment in wickes.
Pete

My tiler and plasterer are one and the same person... me.

Assuming some moisture penetrates over the years, what the best backing other than aqua board.

Thanks for the Wicks tip, I will see if I can find on in my area.

Ah I see said the blind man lol
Well I usually just plaster bond it and have had no issues over the years (i fit bathrooms) however cement is less porous so would be a better bet with a coating of pva on it too.
I think the promo at wickes was 3 for 2 boards.
Pete

Sponsored Links
obmitty said:
Assuming some moisture penetrates over the years,
a wise assumption ;) most I`ve seen are the first joint up from the bottom row.......and I`d say render with a dash of waterproofer added for backing........tiles stuck with cement slurry to render never come off.....as vandals @ our local closed Victorian hospital found out :LOL: they thought they could salvage some ( and presumably sell them)....made me chuckle as I looked in thru the window while walking the dog, best part of a nights work , judging by the fag butts lying round a chair they put there to rest in :rolleyes: The sensible ones stripped out miles of mains electric copper cables :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back