plaster problems (blown) need advice (pics inside)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post here. Being a complete disaster at DIY i seek the experts help. I am currently decorating our spare room and noticed some hairline cracks in the paint. Being the inquisitive type i peeled back the paint, which was surprisingly easy requiring me to just slide the knife behind the paint and run it down the wall taking of large chunks at a time (is this normal?) Anyway, i took the paint of to have a closer look. This is what i found

The plaster is clearly blown in these areas and i was wondering what to do about it. Personally, i would knock out the plaster use plenty of filler, sand and paint but I’m sure that’s the wrong way to go about it (seeing as i thought it would be a good idea)
Also, getting carried away with how easy it was to remove the paint from the wall i carried on stripping till i found this

Now I’m slightly worried! i was thinking maybe apply the same tactic as above but as I said, I really don’t trust my judgement when it comes to DIY.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to hack off all the loose stuff and replaster. Patching plaster like the triangular bit under the window board is farly easy (as you can use the sound parts round it as a guide) but the larger pieces are very difficult if you have not developed the skill.

See if you have enough bad plaster to make it worthwhile getting a pro in. The speed and smoothness that a skilled plasterer achieves is a wonder to behold.

If you try and tidy it up with filler it will take a long time, probably not be satisfactory, and cost a fair bit in materials. A sack of real plaster is very cheap.

Well, despite my lack of DIY skill I have decide that I will attempt the plastering. I will pos pictures of the final result so that you can all laugh at it and freddymercurystwin can say, “I told you so” :LOL:

Sponsored Links
We just stripped a bedroom in our 1930s appartment and uncovered walls in a similar state. We ended up having the shot plaster removed, parts completely replastered and the whole lot skimmed. I would really recommend doing this, as we found that even part of the wall where there weren't cracks yet, the plaster was hollow sounding and fell off when tapped... For the €950 (£600) we paid for the work to be done, it was well worth it...

I would agree, I've just had my bathroom done, including curved ceiling for £230 and it looks fantastic, I would never have created such a perfect finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back