Plaster window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had new double glazing installed and there is a gap where the old wooden frame was. The new window frames are thinner than the wooden.
Most people have wooden frame/facing round there to hide this.
I would like to plaster it to the window for a neater finnish.
Can this be done?
Do I need to insulate the gap first?
I also had a window removed and a french door installed and there is a 10mm difference between where the window was at the top half and where the wall had to be cut at the bottom half for the door.
Whats the best way to fill and finnish this off?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell exactly your problem but it sounds like - if you fill the gaps with expanding foam first, let it set trim it down with a knife then skim over it.

Please note forum rule 7

I have sent pics to admin so hopfully you'll see my issue.
How thick would the plaster have to be for the skim to not crack on the foam?

This gap shoulld have been filled by the fitters. Ideally it should be plastered, but for convenience and to avoid spoiling the decorations, they normally fill a cover piece over the gap.

I would get them back to cover this, and when you next decorate, pull the strips off and plaster the gap flush to the frame.

You don't need foam, just use some one coat

Sponsored Links
I didnt want the finnish on the windows as I personally dont like it. I prefer the plaster to the window thats why they didnt do it.

I thought about one coat thanks for confiming that.

Is it OK to put one coat on about 10mm thick?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back