Plasterboard ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old lath ceiling which is crumling, so I aim to hack it all down - which should be messy, but fairly simple.

I want to replace this with plasterboard and I have a few questions -
1, do I need a certain type of plasterboard?
2, any idea what the current average cost for plasterboard is (cant find any mention on any website)
3, is this a straightforward job, or one for the pro's?

Ta

Sponsored Links
I'd leave it up mate, save yourself the mess.

We've (me and Dad) had quite a bit of sucess in simply nailing the new plasterboard over the top of the old plaster and lath ceilings.

You do of course need longer nails and a bit of effort in locating the joists, but it's worth it. Also, if there is decorative moudlings around the edge you can just board up to them and get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps. As for cost, get down to B&Q or similar, 8x4foot sheets are literally a few quid each.

I don't know about doing it over the old ceiling. Although I reckon it would be better to bring it down - make the job easier I am sure.

However - don't nail it - screw it - unless you want lots of nice holes in the new ceiling when the nail heads pop back through in years to come.

Also - builders merchant - not a shed - you'll save at least half the money and you won't have to get your own car dirty - if in fact you have something to fit an 8x4 foot sheet into in the first place.

I would personally leave it up its bad enough taking down a lath and plaster ceiling from above but when you have to pull it all down on yourself. If you do decide to take it down get goggles and decent masks because after five minutes you wont be able to see your hand in front of your face.
Just find the joists at each end of the room and ping a chalk line between the two.

Sponsored Links
Graeme M said:
I have an old lath ceiling which is crumling, so I aim to hack it all down - which should be messy, but fairly simple.

I want to replace this with plasterboard and I have a few questions -
1, do I need a certain type of plasterboard?
2, any idea what the current average cost for plasterboard is (cant find any mention on any website)
3, is this a straightforward job, or one for the pro's?

Ta

Have to agree that the most usual method these days is to leave the old one in situ and board over it. If the old ceiling is very uneven you can put up battens to level it out. Also use screws not nails.

I've done both, much prefer to overboard though! Far less mess to clear up and still able to breathe, even WITH a mask!

Consider 4 X 3 boards as well, if you're not used to them, the 8X4 are seriously heavy, esp when you are trying to manouver above your heads.

And get some black jap plasterboard screws from screwfix of whereever, they won't go rusty and stain.

Buy your boards from Builders merchants, cheaper and usually free delivery, and don't forget the scrim tape (self adhesive) and board finish (plaster).

Oh yes, if you can plaster a wall, then by all means try a ceiling, BUT it's back breaking work, and getting the finish is the key, if you're not 10% sure you can do it, consider getting a pro in.

I recently took down my old dining room lath and plater ceiling and reboarded for a plasterer to come along to skim.

Having down it and know how much mess is caused, I would reboard over the existing celing.

Only reason I didn't do it this way was that we have a cornice in the room and wanted to keep it!

I've got a victorian house with really ornate plaster covings. The ceilings were in a terrible state so i decided to over board. I was concerned about loosing the "edge" of the coving but after using 3/8 plasterboards and butting up to the covings I have a good finish :D

I also recommend the plasterboard screws from screwfix

All good advice above,

I have done one by lowering the ceiling down slightly with wallplate on walls and ceiling joists held by joists hangers if you don't mind a slight drop in ceiling level, more money this way but the joists is where you want it. The reason I did for this for a customer because of the ceiling low sagging in the middle and wanted flat ceiling.

masona said:
All good advice above,

I have done one by lowering the ceiling down slightly with wallplate on walls and ceiling joists held by joists hangers if you don't mind a slight drop in ceiling level, more money this way but the joists is where you want it. The reason I did for this for a customer because of the ceiling low sagging in the middle and wanted flat ceiling.

Masona, that sounds like my ceiling except to add insult to injury mine is covered in polystyrene tiles as well, I am assuming that in trying to get the tiles off the ceiling is likely to "fall" down anyway given the state its in, wouldn't taking the ceiling down solve the problem of the sagging in the middle?

sammyjammy said:
wouldn't taking the ceiling down solve the problem of the sagging in the middle?
All depends if it's the old plaster lath is sagging away from the ceiling joists then should be okay but if it's the ceiling joists sagged then it will never return to the normal position.

old thread but...

Personally I'd never remove a lath and plaster ceiling to replace it with plasterboard, the bottom of your joists will very rarely be level unless you're very lucky. You'll only notice when you put the new board up and by that time it's a ball ache having to take it down and shim along the joists, then putting it up again. Do as the guys say, find the ends of the joists, buy the long drywall screws and screw straight through.

MOD
please
see item 17

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back