Plasterboard Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lined my roof space with plasterboard. It was originally my intention to skim the joints and screw heads and paint it as it was, so therefore I fixed them with the 'smooth' side out (green side actually as they are waterproof boards). However I have since thought that I would like to have them skimmed with plaster to achieve a better finish (old house and some irregularities between boards).

I realise that I should have the 'rough' (brown) side out for plastering but it is too late now - so the question is what difference does it make and can I still get the boards skimmed?

Cheers

A

Sponsored Links
yes you can, it doesnt really make a great deal of difference this. Cant remember if it was this forum, but someone with a similar question, ended up contacting the manufacturers who said it doesnt make a differnce!

if they are moisture resistant boards they should be PVA first but i have skimmed them without.

Thermo said:
Cant remember if it was this forum, but someone with a similar question, ended up contacting the manufacturers who said it doesnt make a differnce!
It was this forum but can't find it :!:

From the British Gypsum website: Skimming should be carried out on the front of the board (ie. the face with no paper overlap). In the case of Gyproc Wallboard this is the ivory face.

I believe they tell you which side on the plasterboard now. I have skim both side and not has any problem.

Sponsored Links
When I started plastering many years ago, someone told me the ivory face was for direct decorating and the grey side for skimming so I have always skimmed the grey side. It was only last year when I bought some Knauf board and it has got printed on the board that the ivory side is for skimming, that I skimmed that side; no difference though. While on the subject of plaster I have always used Thistle but there was only Wickes own brand in the shop so I bought a bag. It's made by Knauf so I thought it worth a try but I didn't get on with it at all. I did one wall and got some Thistle for the rest. Perhaps it's just me?

basically all the manufacturers now say they will only garauntee the bonding of the paper to the gypsum on the face with no paper joint.
Most plasterers used to like skimming the brown side as it was more absorbant and the plaster went off a bit quicker.

All the instructions I have read about plasterboard say to skim the grey paper side.
Just noticed that the Knauf plasterboard I just put up on the ceiling grey paper side down says 'skim only the other side'. Aarrrgghh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back