Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've now finished 5 new partition walls in the kitchen. Is there an easy way to skim them myself (no experience with plaster at all) or am I best getting a plasterer in ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It is a job requiring some skill and you can only achieve a smooth finish with some practise. It may be better to get a professional to apply the skim coat of finishing plaster.

Also you can get Artex Skimcoat, which does not need any plastering skills,(so they say!) but don't know much about it.

Depend on your deco like wall tiles & wood cladding there's no need to plaster.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the Artex Skimcoat and maybe try it on a small wall. Most of the area will be covered by units, tiles and there is some wooden cladding under the window too.

You could try practising the Artex Skimcoat on any off-cut plasterboard or plywood etc..

Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone,

Please advise is it better to render a wall with Sand and Cement or Hardwall bonding or is it better to just use plasterboard and final finish.

The wall is Solidwall brick, built in 1900.

Appricate your help

It up to you,I take it you mean internel walls,my property is built in 1902 and I use sand/cement as you'll find property in them days now have soft powdery cement so sand and cement would be ideal for strenghten the walls but not important as hardwall bonding is just as good..

Hi,

What type of plasterboard should be on a bathroom ceiling.
Is there a special plasterboard for moisture resistant?

Just normal plasterboard and seal it with sealer or emulsion paint which will make it moisture resistant.

I always use vapoursheild (foiled back) PB in bathrooms etc costs a couple of pounds a sheet more. But its good building practice.

Good point,

Info:the foiled back plasterboard type is to stop room heat escaping and reflex the heat back down.

Sorry to contradict here, but for a bathroom you want to use Gyproc moisture resistant board. Normal wall board is only suitable for normal bedrooms etc, foil backed board is really for preventing the ingress of moisture from the other side of the board (eg in a shed or a wall where moisture comes in from the other side) Moisture board has a green paper finish and is best for bathroom walls and ceilings. Here is the relevant British Gypsum spec sheet for moisture board http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/TI-038_122.pdf

Oh, back to the thread topic! It seems to have been side tracked a bit. Taping and jointing is a bit tricky when doing it for the first time. If you are going to tile over it or install cupboards you will probably do okay, but for a painted finish you should really get help or advice from a proffesional. [/url]

skellem said:
for a bathroom you want to use Gyproc moisture resistant board.

For years I've have never know people having problems with normal plasterboard in bathroom providing it's sealed.

But,you're right but I have done a test once (sad I know!) I put 2 coats of Grproc sealer on normal plasterboard and pour water onto it and the moisture resistant board.I've found the sealer on the normal plasterboard was better !!! but you're right & better off using Gyproc moisture with the sealer as well for further protection.

It probably does work fine, but I'm the type that hates to have to repair jobs again because I didn't do it right in the first place! It would be just my luck that the whole lot falls down and I would have to replace it again!

Hi All,

I do know when rendering a wall you use Sand/Cement do you also have to put LIME in? if so why

I'm not going do this plastering project myself - it will be done by a plasterer but just wanted to know which is the correct way of doing this.

I called 1 builder in and he said he will use Lime with sand/cement but couldn’t give me a better explanation than its just good to use LIME.

As for 2nd builder he just said I use Sand/cement.

Appreciate you suggestion.

Lime reduces the amount of water sucking into the bricks and preventing the cement from drying out too quick and shrinking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back