plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I'm currently plasterboarding and replastering a room.

From reading forum posts I've figured out I have to use 12.5mm plasterboard, with screws not nails, on the ceiling. But what is recommended for the walls?

Any other hints and tips?

thank you :)

Sponsored Links
diykat said:
hi

I'm currently plasterboarding and replastering a room.

From reading forum posts I've figured out I have to use 12.5mm plasterboard, with screws not nails, on the ceiling. But what is recommended for the walls?

Any other hints and tips?

thank you :)
dot'n' dab the walls using plasterboard and bonding compound

thanx for reply :)

what should i do with electric cables that I want to bury behind dot and dabbed plasterboard?

Wall is brick between 2 rooms. The plug socket is currently at about waist height with plastic casing onto of the plaster. Are plug sockets best left at waist height or should I move it down to just above where the new skirting board will go?

Some walls will need dot and dab plasterboard and others have timber frame to allow air gap. Should I use 9.5mm or 12.5mm plasterboard?

12.5 is best on walls. 9.5 is for ceilings. There may be a reason why your already using 12.5 on the walls though?

Sponsored Links
diykat said:
thanx for reply :)

what should i do with electric cables that I want to bury behind dot and dabbed plasterboard?

Wall is brick between 2 rooms. The plug socket is currently at about waist height with plastic casing onto of the plaster. Are plug sockets best left at waist height or should I move it down to just above where the new skirting board will go?

Some walls will need dot and dab plasterboard and others have timber frame to allow air gap. Should I use 9.5mm or 12.5mm plasterboard?

use 12.5 boards they dont bend asmuch and are easier to dab flat. The sockets by the sounds are at waist height for disabled so if its not your house i wouldnt lower ;)

Best using 12.5mm all round. Sure it's heavier but this means that it's better for soundproofing and resistance to fire, don't skimp for the sake of pennies.

An alternative to dot and dab would be to batten the wall and screw it on, checking first that the battens are level.

The cables can be covered with plastic or metal capping, which screws to the wall. Metal gives more protection, plastic is cheaper, but I think in certain situations/locations, metal is compulsory. Better check in the electrics :idea: section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back