plastering after tile removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just removed some old tiles and now want to have a go at plastering the walls, is it possible to just skim over the old adhesive or do i have to re-render, never plastered before onto a wall , be gentle please

Sponsored Links
Knock off any loose fragments and plaster away. Good luck your gonna need it :LOL:

hey guys decided to put bonding on the wall first as there were a few deepish holes to fill went on okay and i pva'd the wall first, however i have noticed some cracks appearring is this a problem and what has caused it
thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Plaster will craze & even crack if you try & lay it on too thick; total thickness depends on the type of plaster you’re using - Bonding is supposed to be OK up to 8mm but I always build up the total thickness in 2 stages. Bonding also prefers low suction backgrounds &, again, will craze if the water gets drawn out too quickly. I use a water bottle on both Bonding & Hardwall several times after the final trowel & this helps stop crazing as it cures. You should still be OK if it’s only surface crazing, tap the area to see if it’s adhered; hollow sounds are not good news.

another couple questions guys, btw thanks very much for the help so far.
do i have to scratch the bonding before applying the finish and will a corner trowel help me get a better internal corner, they look a bit uneven at the moment, im sure the guys that do this for a living dont need one, but would it help a novice

You don’t need to scratch the bonding before applying the finishing skim, give everything 2 very good coats of PVA, the second after the first has dry (I always apply the 1st coat the night before) & the 2nd just before plastering. I don’t use a corner trowel & have my own method of getting the corners nice & straight; to be honest, I think using one may be more hindrance that help to a beginner. If you’re not confident about the result, I would use a stop bead but if the wall is already uneven, it may be of limited help. I always use a stop bead on window reveals against the frame as they are fiddly & it guarantees you a nice straight edge where it’s very noticeable.

Plaster one wall at a time, don’t attempt to work a wet corner; & do a wall that you won’t see much of first to see how you get on. Good luck, your gonna need it but you never know, you might be a ‘natural’!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back