plastering ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have to patch into a ceiling that is water damaged but it is old plaster onto lathes. any ideas onthe best products to use

Sponsored Links
Cut the lathes back to the nearest joist and stick some noggins in. Cut plasterboard a couple of mm smaller than size of patch and screw to noggins / joists.

Scrim and skim.

Regards

Fred

That's what I did but fell down badly on the skimming :( . Doesn't matter what I do I end up with an uneven skim that has lots of holes in it. Where am I going wrong and more to the point, how can I camouflage this mess?

des_enzano said:
That's what I did but fell down badly on the skimming :( . Doesn't matter what I do I end up with an uneven skim that has lots of holes in it. Where am I going wrong and more to the point, how can I camouflage this mess?

Have you left the skim up or did you remove it before it went off? Please tell me you removed it!

If you've removed it, get a plasterer in to blend the patch in. If you haven't you'll probably need to get the whole ceiling skimmed to hide it unless you can remove the bedged work without causing further damage.

A pic may help.

Regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
Did you PVA the area you were skimming? If not the water in the plaster is sucked out and the plaster 'goes off' instantly.

Yes I did. I ended up giving the plaster a bit of a rub down then filled in the holes and hollows then gave it a couple of coats of emulsion. Admittedly it's a far from perfect job, in fact it still has a bit of a texture to it. However, I think this texture gives it a bit of an olde worlde look. Pity the rest of the ceiling doesn't match it :LOL:

In any case nobody would see the difference if they rode by on a motorbike ;)

I look on this as a learning experience. I have learned not to bother attempting plastering again :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back