Plastering Courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

For anyone thinking about completing a plastering course, despite what some people may tell you, it's well worth a shot.

OK, so you shouldn't expect to become a world class plasterer overnight, or even in just a few months. It takes time to practice what you've learnt and it also takes a long time to learn other aspects of the trade but you gotta start somewhere.

Once you've completed the course you need to practice. And by practice I mean constantly. Start by practicing on an easy background - plasterboard. As you get more confident and become faster, increase the size of the area on which you practice. Once you've mastered it you will need to practice on different backgrounds, plain fresh bonding / browning / hardwall, existing painted plaster, textured ceilings etc. You could offer to do some work for friends and family for free, or for just the cost of materials.

Once you're confident with that, you can then start taking on small paid jobs. Only take on what you can handle though. If you don't think you can manage a particular job then turn it down in one way or another (although I have always found honesty to be the best policy).

I did an intensive plastering course myself. It was only a week long thing but I had the benefit of having plastererd before, although only smallish areas and in my own time with the knowlege that if I cocked it up I could simply re-do it. I decided to do the course because I was unhappy in my job and wanted to try something else so I figured I'd go for plastering and thought the course would teach me some additional techniques and enable me to plaster faster. It did. I'm still not the fastest and I'm still not the best but hey, it takes time and I'm doing pretty well.

Here are some pictures of a recent job I did. A living room, stairway and landing (no pictures of the landing). The plastering took me three and a half days and the finish is pretty good. I say pretty good rather than damn good because there are on or two little bits on a couple of the walls where I have left a slight hollow and didn't see it in time to fill it. However, I will be going back to fill these little bits, free of charge, once the mist coat has gone on.

I went there today because the customer had asked me to do more work because he was so pleased with the work I'd already carried out.

So, like I say, to anyone anting to do a course, go for it. Don't be put off by those who say you can't possibly be a plasterer and that you're nothing but a cowboy if you try to pass youself off as a plasterer after doing such a course. For a start, cowboys are not honest with their customers - I am, I will happily tell people I've only been plastering for a few months. Cowboys also don't do a job as good as the one you see below. Finally, cowboys don't get repeat work or work through word of mouth. I have had both.

Regards

Fred

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nice one Fred ,im the same as you and now im averaging about £600 pounds most weeks. Should have done it years ago.

Wow, that's inspirational mate. A cracking job you've did there.

How much and for how long was your intensive course if you don't mind me asking?

Sponsored Links
Mine was for 6 weeks and it cost £2200. I didnt pay it was part of a redundency package. Best thing i ever did.

brist said:
Nice one Fred ,im the same as you and now im averaging about £600 pounds most weeks. Should have done it years ago.

Hi, I'm just wondering...is that a typical salary for a plasterer or do you expect to get more eventually. What does a plasterer typically charge for an average sized room?

I'm doing a plastering course soon, its 3hrs a week for 30 weeks.

Thanks.

It varies depending on location etc.

Some earn £200 per day, others less. But at the end of the day, even if earning £200 a day you'll have weeks where you're quiet so your average earnings will be less.

Ultimately it's up to you how much you earn but you've got to find a balance between earning a living and also make sure you're not too expensive or you'll get no work.

That's a long course so you'll probably learn a fair bit. Is it at night school or something?

Regards

Fred

brist said:
So should I....about 1970........instead of plumbing :rolleyes: :LOL: it aint what it`s cracked up to be .....by a LONG way ;)

Nice work Fred. You obviously care about what you do and that makes all the difference.

FredFlintstone said:
That's a long course so you'll probably learn a fair bit. Is it at night school or something?

Fred

Yes its an evening class.

Iotrez said:
FredFlintstone said:

Fred

Yes its an evening class.

Nice one. Only potential problem is that it's in three hour bursts. By the time you've got in, had a chat, set up your buckets and tools got your water, applied your PVA a mixed your plaster, you'll have lost a chunk of time and you're going to need time to follow the process of the plaster going off. It's the plaster and background that dictates how long a wall takes to skim. You can't flatten it, trowel it up or polish it before it's ready for it.

Still, it should provide you with all the information you need to make a go of it.

regards

fred.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back