Plastering - hardwall or sand/cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to get five rooms in my Victorian semi re-plastered, in many areas from the brickwork. The guy who came to quote for me recommended using sand/cement rather than hardwall to do the job as it would be cheaper and the finish just as good. Is this true? Can you really achieve a super smooth finish with sand/cement - I thought that was render!? He also said that outside walls should always be done this way.
Any comments thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks
Confused :confused:

Sponsored Links
The render coat is in replacement of the hardwall. He will put a skim coat on top of the render.
This is how your walls would have originally been done

There seem to be regional preferences. When I lived in Essex and East London they did it in gypsum plaster, down here in Hants they do sand and cement backing coat.

I quite like the sand and cement now, seems less inclined to crack amd break off when you chase it.

Thanks Cheltonian. Do you agree that this would be a good way to do it or is hardwalling better? Is it worth paying more for one hardwall over sand/cement?

Sponsored Links
p.s. I'm sure it will also stand up to damp better, which can be a problem in older houses, and maybe your cellar/pantry/coalhouse?

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.

I've had another plasterer who also uses sand and cement backing, especially, as you say, for older houses. He told me though that i would not be able to paint the walls for up to 3 weeks!
Looks like I'll have to re-think the idea of painting before I fit my new kitchen. Maybe hiring a de-humidifer would be worthwhile...

I was on a house refurb a couple of years ago, all the exisitng walls where stripped, render then top coat. The plasterer even used render on the Celcons that we had just laid.
He said it will last years more than hardwall/browning.
It may take longer to dry out, but who wants plaster drying too quickly??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back