plastic/copper hybrid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom - Copper pipes with plastic push on fittings/joints - supplementary bonded or not?

ta

Sponsored Links
You're screwed mate. Worst possible setup. An iffy connection is worse than either a good connection or a definite insulator.

But strictly (I think!) all you need to do is bond every piece of metal entering the bathroom, at the point where it enters. You absolutely can not rely upon the plastic jointed pipework to form part of the bonding. But it is the entry points to the equipotential zone that are important.

thanks Dam

surely each exposed metal part eg, taps, are actually insulated by the plastic push-on fittings and therefore bonding is not required?

Cant get my head around this...

Help!

Mackeral, whilst pure water may be an insulator, the water in your pipes is not and will conduct any fault currents.

You may better off replacing the plastic connections for brass compression fittings or copper push fit, that will look neater and also reduce the amount of cable hanging around the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Cheers FWL,

What about when there are metal fittings ie. taps, on a totally plastic install?
I cannot change the plastic push-on fittings...

Still struggling here guys...

Why can you not replace the fittings?

Having asked that, then the only course of action is to bond across each and every joint and ensure that you have a guaranteed Earth path. As you have plastic couplers, then I would recommend that you take an Earth bond from the bathroom back to the Consumer Unit Earth Terminal. That is the only way you will be confident that you have a full path to earth.

Here we have a difference of opinion. It is not necessary to bond to metal taps which are connected by those flexible plastic pipes to copper supplies. Exactly the same reasoning applies to pieces of copper pipe separated by plastic joints. Equipotential bonding does not require you to bond every single piece of metal. Only those which can introduce a potential from outside. So if you bond a pipe just where it comes into the room, then you prevent any voltage being introduced further along. Doesn't matter how many plastic breaks there are.

But if the pipes are solid metal, you can use them as part of the bonding circuit. so you can connect to one end of a pipe, and from the opposite end maybe to a light fitting. Makes life more difficult if you have to use extra wiring instead.

Now wait for the disagreement.

Damocles, you are correct that not every piece of metal requires bonding, however in this situation the pipes do require bonding. It is not relevent whether you or I consider this OTT, I personally do, it is a requirement.

FWL_Engineer said:
Mackeral, whilst pure water may be an insulator, the water in your pipes is not and will conduct any fault currents
You may better off replacing the plastic connections for brass compression fittings or copper push fit, that will look neater and also reduce the amount of cable hanging around the bathroom.
Glad to see you back FWL and glad you mention this as i had a lot of trouble convincing others of this in another post.

Damocles said:
Here we have a difference of opinion. It is not necessary to bond to metal taps which are connected by those flexible plastic pipes to copper supplies. Exactly the same reasoning applies to pieces of copper pipe separated by plastic joints. Equipotential bonding does not require you to bond every single piece of metal. Only those which can introduce a potential from outside. So if you bond a pipe just where it comes into the room, then you prevent any voltage being introduced further along. Doesn't matter how many plastic breaks there are.

But if the pipes are solid metal, you can use them as part of the bonding circuit. so you can connect to one end of a pipe, and from the opposite end maybe to a light fitting. Makes life more difficult if you have to use extra wiring instead.

Now wait for the disagreement.
whoah whoah there you must not mix up bonding with earthing they are two distinctly different things!

So if you bond a pipe just where it comes into the room, then you prevent any voltage being introduced further along. Doesn't matter how many plastic breaks there are

So do you agree that it is the water and not the copper that is the conductor? Or is it both?

would recommend that you take an Earth bond from the bathroom back to the Consumer Unit Earth Terminal. That is the only way you will be confident that you have a full path to earth.

Surely this isnt equipotential bonding then?

Any other suggestions?

Talked to the NIC (after 5 min hold on an 0870 number) and they say that it is unlikely that supplementary bonding is required in this scenario. But to prove it with a test instrument to keep myself right - If the reading is over 22,000 ohms then its ok. Also to disregard water as a conductor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back