Plastic downpipe into ceramic drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to connect a plastic downpipe into a ceramic drain at the front of my house.

It is a joint downpipe between myself and my neighbour. He has just had a drain company in to unblock this pipe (so that he can sell his house!). The drain had been blocked for ages. When I removed the plastic pipe from the ceramic pipe in order to first gain access to it, it was cemented to the ceramic drain. Under the cement was a load of carrier bags that had been used as packing to stop the cement falling into the drain.

I don't think this really is a method I want to use. Knowing my luck the carrier bag would dislodge and block the drain again.

What is the best method of sealing the plastic downpipe to the drain without the cement falling into the drain?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Is there another method to cement bags or polyphene :rolleyes:

I don't think so

You can buy (plumber/builder merchants) a rubber gaiter that acts as an adaptor. The gaiter tightly fits around the outside of the plastic downpipe and sits on top and around the the outside of the clay pipe. With the gaiter in place you then put mortar around the joint to keep the pipes stationary and prevent movement of the gaiter. There is no need to put anything inside the soil pipe.

Sponsored Links
or a box of out-of-date Dutch Caps from your local GUM unit ;)........I know you`re not medical, Kev, but it`s an interest of mine :eek: :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back