plastic pipes and showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you use easyplumb or speedfit plastic pipes and fittings to plumb in an electric shower?

Sponsored Links
yes

But only if the instructions don't say you can't :D

KEVPLUMB, Just been doing a search of the plumbing forum on past posts regarding various things, mainly plastic pipes and pushfits....
I must have read about four or five of your follow up replies which all say more or less the same thing, in that you have a lot of experience with pushfits blowing off your pipes.
Has anybody else experienced this???

Sponsored Links
The only case of "blow off" of a pushfit fitting I've encountered was were the ppe liner was omitted. The first time the heating system was brought up to full pressure and temperature, the pressure suddenly dropped. Following some clever detective work, I eventually located the point where the leak was (under sealed ground floor) and sure enough there was a pushfit joint with the liner missing from the plastic pipe.

you dont use pushfit for the final connection cos the tail is not made to a close enough tolerance
by all means use it for the rest

who dredged this up again :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I used to swear by speedfit, but a couple I have used in my own house have just been pushed off after over a year in place....don't touch it at all now.

Vaguely thinking, don't those plastic tails have a rough feel to them? Don't push fit leak on them anyway?

Only pushfit I had come apart was either because I didn't fit it right home properly or because it pulled against something and demounted itself. I now use some white ones which you can lock to stop them demounting, but have the benefit that you can demount them as required.

For about a year I have been piping up under floor with barrier hepworth and these white fittings, all visible pipework continues to be copper, even in bathrooms and under kitchen sinks. The saving on labour is immense, but I still prefer those bits on show to look traditional.

The new builds around here have been entirely plastic for some time, and don';t they look a mess?

Who uses HDPE?

Just my tuppenceworth - I've seen one speedfit (pre twist-lock) pop off (it was a 22mm copper) but all the other makes I've ever seen, leak severely without being mis - assembled. I only use it where it's visible now.

I believe tektight is best for joining to copper. I haven't had a leak yet on any well made joints to unblemished pipe.

I believe tektight is best for joining to copper. I haven't had a leak yet on any well made joints to unblemished pipe.

Seen some real squirters on copper and plastic pipe. I don't think they're anything special, just a brass body. The bodies aren't what leak...

Haven't seen twist lock Speedfit leaking yet, but it hasn't been out long!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back