Please advice on which Consumer Enclosure to get ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am very confuse with the current brands of electrical Consumer Enclosure units available in the market. There are so many brands. Proteus, MK, Hager, Contactum, Chint...etc.

Possible to share your experiences with these Enclosure units?

Which brand offers a better pricing, user friendly and reliable Consumer Unit?

What's the pricing now for a 12, 14 or 16 modules unit ?

Lots of thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ask your electrician, he will provide what he is happy working with, changing a CCU is not a DIY job.
Your electrician will also get discounts you will not be entitled to.

But is there really a " PREFERED " C.U. whereby it looks good and easily to use ?
Yes, i do have my electrician. But i want to know more and decide what's best for my home.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
they all do the same thing. its not whats best for your home that matters, they all have the same parts, and all the protective devices are built to the same standards.

What matters is that your electrician has a preferred brand which may be easier for him to install - he may charge more to fit another brand or may even refuse to do it. He can also get them cheaper than you can.

The sparks may just fit the one he can pull the most profit out of!

Any decent sparks should have no issues at all with fitting a customer supplied "quality" unit. So saying an electrician won't fit a customer supplied one is saying the sparks is either lazy or incompetent - of course as long as the supplied unit is a good quality one....

Crafty, I agree they all do the same thing, but some of the poor quality thin plastic cu's out there are in my opinion only just up to the job.

Kev

arctic said:
if the sparky you use normallly charges a markup on parts and you deny him that do you really think he's not going to find some other way to charge you.

arctic said:
Any decent sparks should have no issues at all with fitting a customer supplied "quality" unit. So saying an electrician won't fit a customer supplied one is saying the sparks is either lazy or incompetent - of course as long as the supplied unit is a good quality one....
i think its unlikely that they will flat out refuse to do it. but afaict its quite likely he will charge you extra if you make them work with a brand he is not used to or finds difficult to work with.

arctic said:
if the sparky you use normallly charges a markup on parts and you deny him that do you really think he's not going to find some other way to charge you.

arctic said:
i think its unlikely that they will flat out refuse to do it. but afaict its quite likely he will charge you extra if you make them work with a brand he is not used to or finds difficult to work with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back