Please review the design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to draw water and CH supply inluding all elements. There are pleanty diagrams in the network, however most of the don't show valves and cocks.

Please advise if anything missing or placed wrongly. I was trying to use correct symbols, but could not find all.

Any advice appreciated.

25spngx.jpg

206ifsl.jpg

55mik2.jpg

Sponsored Links
The radiators in the areas where the room stats are fitted should not have TRVs fitted.

Boiler will require another pipe for the safety valve outlet, and a drain point below the boiler would be useful so that parts can be replaced without having to drain down the rest of the system.

Loft needs to be suitable for the boiler to be installed - i.e. solid floor, lighting and a ladder to get up there.

I wouldn't fit wireless thermostats on a new installation.

Sponsored Links
Any specific reason for avoiding wireless?

The idea is to use Honeywell CM927 which can be moved between bedrooms if required. When it's taken into to the room the thermostatic valve would be fully open.
On ground floor mainly to avoid wiring.

Unfortunately, the kitchen is not big enough for the dishwasher. The plan is to extend it and that is the reason not to install the boiler there.

Would the relief valve be connected to the drain which is used for condensate pipe?

Thanks for your comments.

why don't you give the plans to the company who is going to install the boiler and see what they say?

Any specific reason for avoiding wireless?

The idea is to use Honeywell CM927 which can be moved between bedrooms if required.
Wireless thermostats are intended for installations where it is not practical or desirable to install wiring, such as when replacing an existing poorly sited thermostat, or installing one where there wasn't one before.
They are NOT intended to be moved around the house. They are installed to control the whole zone, not individual rooms - that's what TRVs are for. That is also why the thermostat needs to be in a room where the radiator doesn't have a TRV (as already pointed out by swbjackson).

As the installation of the new radiators will obviously involve lifting floorboards and drilling holes etc. for the pipes, it's hardly any extra work to put a cable or two in at the same time.

The other reason it that wireless has far more to go wrong - batteries require replacement, the receiver and stat need to be paired (and this can go wrong after installation so may need to be done again), they can be affected by radio interference from other equipment, and may not work well or at all if there are substantial structures between the receiver and stat.

Another common blunder is people installing a battery powered wired thermostat to a system which uses mains voltage switching.

Never mind the design Les, what software did you use to do the design??

I have updated the diagram with the most changes proposed here:

-) TRVs removed in the room with the thermostats
-) Valve removed from hot water outlet
-) Drain valve added to the CH flow at the lowest point

Question: As the boiler is at the highest point of the system can it be drained by draining few liters from the lowest drain valves?

-) Drainage pipework are added to the diagram
-) Relief pipework is added assuming the relive valve is part of the boiler.(used WB 30CDi installation guide). Not sure though if it can be done such way at the loft level.

Kept wireless for now, but will do further study and consider using wired.

The diagram was drawn in MS Visio software (use it regular in my telecom/IT engineering job)

-) Relief pipework is added assuming the relive valve is part of the boiler.(used WB 30CDi installation guide). Not sure though if it can be done such way at the loft level.
It can't - it will need to be taken to an outside drain at/near ground level.

If the valve operates while the boiler is heating, boiling hot water will be forced out of the pipe.

In WB 30CDi installation guide I have noticed:

Where the system volume is more than 100 liters or exceeds 2.65 bar at maximum heating temperature an extra expansion vessel must be fitted as close as possible to the appliance in the central heating return.

I wonder how would you practically measure that. By pure estimate calculation or filling in the system and draining and measuring?

How much water 7-8 radiators CH system in 3-bed semi would normally use? Anywere close to 100 liters or it's not my case?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back