Plumbers mait used in Toilet waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I thought I had a 10 mins job to re fit my toilet after some tiling but it has turned into a bit of a nightmare.

After re connecting the toliet I had a leak (excuse the pun) from the toliet waste when the toliet was flushed. The seal on the waste was not too hot but as its behind my nice new tiling I was reluctant to replace it.

A nice friendly guy at B&Q told me to use Plumbers Mait to seal this which I have done. Can someone confirm if this is ok as it looks and sounds a bit "cowboyish". Also does this stuff harden and how long will I need to leave this before I can flush the toilet again.

Thanks for your help
Ajay99

Sponsored Links
It`ll NEVER harden :cry: So if it leaks now..it always will.....conversely if it don`t leak :D

i have used plumbers mait to seal pans many a time and never (fingers crossed) had a call back on them

have you got a connector with a flexible rubber seal, or what? How does the china WC spigot attach to the plastic soil pipe? Or is it iron?

Sponsored Links
true dont try to stuff PM into one of those horrid rubber seals, remove it first then caulk in the PM

John D,

I have what looks like a Porcelain (spelling ?) toilet that "slots" into a rubber sealed piece of pipe. The pipe is enclosed behind the tiles. The rubber seal is flexible as you have to insert the toilet waste into the hole. The pipes are plastic.

If the Plumbers mait does not harden does it keep its stickyness or will this disapear ?

Thanks for your help.

The rubber seal shouldn't need any other sealant. You should clean it all off and try again. To help it sldie into place you can lube it with washing up liquid, shampoo or silicon grease if you have it. The rubber should grip it tightly and stretch to fit.

Never EVER use washing up liquid on rubber seals!
Yes - they slide in beautifully - then, after a while, rot to nasty black goo that leaks!

Astroglyde, then? I'll have to buy some specially.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back