plumbing a cloakroom suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this plumbing lark,with limited knowledge do you think it is possible for me to plumb in a new cloakroom suite.I want to place the new sink and toilet in the same position as the old ones.Can anyone give me an idea as to what tools i would need to do the job and in what order should I do the job please

Sponsored Links
Too much for a help forum really! Get yourself a thin book on plumbing - one from one of the sheds would be adequate. Then if you get the fittings frm a plumbers merchant you'll probably get all the advice you need. The sheds' staff aren't as good at that on the whole.

No, course it isn't difficult if you find out what's what before you start.
One spacing problem can arise if the loo exhaust goes into the ground rather than through the wall.

Have a look at DIYFIXIT.co.uk there's a lot of advice written in simple terms.
My only advice is to assume it will take 3 times as long to finish than planned.
So the first thing to do when you remove the old stuff is to fit isolation valves to all the water pipes. This will allow you to have water to all the rest of the house while you work.
Second bit of advice buy a good pipe cutter the best you can afford, especially if your working in confined spaces.
Good luck.

Thank you diyfixit.co.uk loads of info on there great idea about the isolation valves.I have my new suite on order .Its got to save me a couple of hundred if i can do it myself. Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
is it not better to pay that £200 and have the job done correctly. Also, if a massive leak occurs and floods the room whoever you paid would be liable, not you.

If you've little experience i would pay someone, they will always do a better neater job plus it's all guaranteed.

I'm like you, trying to save money but you can sometimes come unstuck. Besides if your changing a toilet it is not a pleasant job, I hate doing them... ;)

i would pay someone, they will always do a better neater job
I wouldn't bet on it! Some of the neatest jobs out there are DIY. But only do it if you take pleasure and pride in it!

adwt2004 said:
is it not better to pay that £200 and have the job done correctly. Also, if a massive leak occurs and floods the room whoever you paid would be liable, not you.

If you've little experience i would pay someone, they will always do a better neater job plus it's all guaranteed.

I'm like you, trying to save money but you can sometimes come unstuck. Besides if your changing a toilet it is not a pleasant job, I hate doing them... ;)

If, like has been described, there is already a suite fitted, it really is a pretty simple job. As mentioned earlier, isolation valves will make life easier and the toilet isn't that difficult

Just have to look at where the water feed, overflow and soil connections are located on the new toilet as minor adjustments to the existing pipework maybe necessary

I wouldn't bet on it! Some of the neatest jobs out there are DIY. But only do it if you take pleasure and pride in it!

I do my own diy plumbing and you're probably right, I have very high standards but not as high as my missus, after all she's qualified in everything... :D

£200 :eek: to change a bog+ basin :!: .........what part of Sussex.........ah I know Gatwick area ;) :LOL:

Nige F said:
£200 :eek: to change a bog+ basin :!: .........what part of Sussex.........ah I know Gatwick area ;) :LOL:

I just assumed thats about what it would be if you can get hold of a plumber who would be even interested in coming to give a quote.Because i know one of the ten commandments on here is not to ask how much something would cost :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back