Plumbing novice help needed bathroom sink

C

catmando

Hi all,

I have noticed that my bathroom sink basin is taking ages to empty and is smelling also!

Whats the best way of tackling this, plunger? Or should I unscrew the u-ben and clean it out, if so where do I turn off the water? If I turn off the water will I need to refil my combi-boiler?

Sorry in advance for the dumb questions!

Sponsored Links
If the only problem is the length of time it takes waste to drain away then you don't have to turn off your water, etc.

First of all, I would take apart the u-bend as cleaning that out may solve the problem straight away. If it is blocked further away then it may get more difficult as you can't tell where the problem is. See if you can find the next access point for that drain (inspection chamber). If that is not blocked you know the problem lies somewhere in between.

I had a blocked toilet a few months back and was dreading how bad it was going to be trying to fix it when I came upon a product in Homebase. Basically it is a small can of compressed air (with a red nozzle) that can blast out blockages in pipes. It worked a treat. Try that before you start breaking through walls, digging things up, etc.

Thanks Hugh,
I will take off the ubend and take a look, I thought stupidly that you would need the water off for that.
I will also try the compressed air route.

Thanks again

Hiya Hugh, I agree wid you . but I`d recommend a Stadium version of the rubber plunger ;) It`s like a concertina .......and works for ever.

Sponsored Links
Just to update you guys, tried a can of the compressed air which made a difference but there was still a bit of a problem. Then I bought some drain unblocker from the supermarket and that has done the trick.

Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back