plumbing under a screed floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am self managing/ labouring my way through a huge ground floor extension. I have a concrete floor about 50mm below my required finished level. Could someone just outline what I need to be aware of if running my first fix radiator copper pipes along this floor and can I just screed straight over the top or do they need to be covered in some way?

thx

Sponsored Links
Horsehair fabrics pipe sleeving type are ideal in the floor screed but need to put it on first before any connection. If it's already done then you can use Denso tape but some say it will discolour the floor screed when the denso is heated up. It need to be done to prevent corrosion.

thx for speedy reply. i haven't laid the pipes yet. would it be better to use plastic under screed then and would i need to fix this to the floor or just lay it down?

pmcx9 said:
would it be better to use plastic under screed then and would i need to fix this to the floor or just lay it down?
Not quite sure what you mean ? Copper pipe inside plastic pipe ?

Sponsored Links
use plastic pipe, and snake it all over the floor. You can get panels with guide channels moulded in, connect the pipes to a manifold and hey presto, there you have it - underfloor heating.

Be very careful about not letting the pipes come into contact with any wet screed - I read in this forum about a case where the pipes were damaged to the point of being 'tubes of green copper oxide' due to moisture/reaction with the screed. I asked about a similar job and was told to use plastic channeling to house the pipes. I still have to do my job and I plan to use plastic channelling (my pipes are for water supply to a sink in an island unit.

All the best,

P.J.

This is now a requirement for water supply pipes, and there is a double walled pipe available which will allow removal and replacement of the inner at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back