Plumbing W/M drain into 22mm overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put my washing machine in the same big cupbaord as the cold water tank. The problem is that there is no drain in that cupboard and i'd rather not drill through the wall.

The water tank overflow already goes through the wall and drains into the top of the bath next door. It aint pretty but its there, and its a rented flat.

What I would like to do is attach the washing machine drain hose into the existing 22mm pipe that goes through the wall.

I know thats pretty unconventional, but as long as i have a one way valve above the place where I plumb in the washing machine hose I don't see a problem with the washing machine filling the tank through the overflow, and I know you are allowed to drain a W/M into a sink/bath.

So I think I need to cut the 22mm pipe, stick in the one way valve, stick in a 22mm T joint below that and then use a jubilee clip to clamp the washing machine drain onto a short pipe coming from one end of the T.

Whaddaya reckon?

If you wanna picture I just drew of it I can email - but i can't figure out how to attach it to this post

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Washing machine drains should be a minimum of 40mm waste pipe to handle flow of discharge :eek:

Why's it so daft?

Help me out here buddy! - I haven't really got a clue what I'm doing, but i don't have 250 quid spare to get the pros in either.

If theres a pipe already going through the wall and open above a bath, isn't me attaching the W/M drain to that pipe equivalent to me knocking another hole through the wall and shoving the drain pipe itself through?

Like i said i've got a one way check vavle above the T to stop the washing machine pumping the waste up the pipe and into the water tank through the overflow...

Sponsored Links
Not such a daft idea - You can extend the washing machine hose with 22mm pipe or similar, but I wouldn't mix it up with the overflow. A non-return valve on the overflow might not open enough to allow the overflow to function properly. Can't you drill an extra hole through the wall?

You can stick a pic in pictiger or photobucket or similar.
Our email addresses are in our "Profiles" - any of us .

You can extend a WM exhaust hose by joining another one on a couple of metres long - have done it and had it work for about 3 years before I got round to doing it properly!
What are the relative heights of the overflow and others?

The top of the outlet pipe is about 4.5 feet (130 cm) above the chekvalve. The T is about only just below the checkvalve and then there is about a foot vertically before it bends 90 degrees and goes a fott through the wall and is open above the bath.

I reckoned that 1.5 m was enough head to open the vavle if the overflow was ever needed in anger?

The problem with drilling another hole is that the wall is thick concrete, i don't have a power drill, or a core drill bit, and there is tiling the other side which i don't really wanna get into replaceing.

Thanks for anymore ideas. I'm probably go ahead and do it now since I need Sunday off to relax!

steadyeddy said:
What I would like to do is attach the washing machine drain hose into the existing 22mm pipe that goes through the wall.[/quite]
This is one of the worst ideas I've ever read about.

I don't see a problem with the washing machine filling the tank through the overflow...
I see nothing but problems, contamination being the main one.

So I think I need to cut the 22mm pipe, stick in the one way valve, stick in a 22mm T joint below that and then use a jubilee clip to clamp the washing machine drain onto a short pipe coming from one end of the T.

Whaddaya reckon?
I reckon you'll regret it.

I reckoned that 1.5 m was enough head to open the vavle if the overflow was ever needed in anger?
That's just wishful thinking.

Just do it properly. If you don't have a drilll then hire one - £30 should do it.

Softus, or anyone else,

Are you saying that I shouldn't trust the one way valve. In one of these two cases:

1.The washing machine could pump against it (ie back through it the wrong way) and up a 1.5 metre pip into the top of my water tank instead of through the 1.5 foot pipe that goes down and out to the bath.

2. that if the tank did start to overflow that the one way vavle wouldn't work when there is 1.5 meter head and that effectively I have blocked my overflow pipe.

i don't understand why you are sying what I've done is daft unless you are specifically saying that those one way check valves are untrustworthy.

OR

I haven't understood the criticism.

Any view either way are very mich appreciated.

Cheers!

apologies for poor spelling/typing - makes me sound like the policeman of 'allo allo' ha ha

steadyeddy said:
Are you saying that I shouldn't trust the one way valve.
I believe, and will look it up if you really make me, that doing so is against the law (in the form of The Water Regulations).

1.The washing machine could pump against it (ie back through it the wrong way) and up a 1.5 metre pip into the top of my water tank instead of through the 1.5 foot pipe that goes down and out to the bath.
This is not in accordance with the washing machine manufacturer's installation instructions. Not in any universe.

2. that if the tank did start to overflow that the one way vavle wouldn't work when there is 1.5 meter head and that effectively I have blocked my overflow pipe.
Don't even go there.

I've put the vavle there, above the T joint, (ie between the T and the tank)to stop the washing machine inadvertently filling the tank through the overflow if the outlet over the bath became blocked for any reason.

Are you saying that the valve isn't good enough to do that?

second question, are you saying that the valve might not work to let water down through it and out into the bath if the tank did overflow.

I think both questions boil down to 'Are you saying i shouldn't trust the valve?'

Thanks!

steadyeddy said:
The T is about only just below the checkvalve and then there is about a foot vertically before it bends 90 degrees and goes a foot through the wall and is open above the bath.

So does this mean if the tank was ever to overflow then it would drip from above the bath into it? so as to draw your attention to the fact the ball valve is fooked.

steadyeddy said:
I've put the vavle there, above the T joint, (ie between the T and the tank)to stop the washing machine inadvertently filling the tank through the overflow if the outlet over the bath became blocked for any reason.
Jesus H. Christ. :rolleyes:

Are you saying that the valve isn't good enough to do that?
I'm not even going to answer that - I've already given you my views.

second question, are you saying that the valve might not work to let water down through it and out into the bath if the tank did overflow.
Again, I've already told you that it's illegal. I can't condone anything that contravenes The Water Regulations.

I think both questions boil down to 'Are you saying i shouldn't trust the valve?'
No, the questions boil down to "Are you nuts to think that anyone here would support you doing something so crazy?".

Op. I think you have been guided enough times by the experts on here on what you want to do is incorrect. Why are you not taking on board their suggestions?

Is that you are waiting for someone to agree with you who is not an expert?

You may have a long wait :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back