Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's .

I have taken over the past 6 years quite an interest in plumbing , Have done quite a few project's around my home and in the process of tackling another job of which is from help from some of you guy's on this forum .

Iim now thinking of turning this into a career and was looking for some advice really . I left school with no qualification's :oops: not saying i'm a right numpty just my last year's of schooling i went of the rail's a bit .
I love a challenge using my hand's , creative and quick thinking and give 100% to job's i do and as good or better than the guy next to me .
I'm 33 years of age and currently a despatch worker , not a great job and not really satisfied in what i'm doing but it pays the mortgage etc and work a 4 days 4 off 4 nights shift pattern.
I'm trying to find a course to fit around this so i dont have to give up my job straight away (as i could'nt afford to) but was hoping to find some way of training and maybe offer myself to a local plumber or company to maybe work alongside or gofa for even unpaid just to get an insight and bit of training to help me .
Now i've been looking on the web and at the local college site and have found a lot of site's offering the courses but to be honest i dont know what im looking for and wether to trust the company's with my money if at the end of the course the paperwork is not recognised in the real world by company's .
hope i dont sound a complete idiot and hope maybe someone could point me in the right direction and what i need to be looking for .

thanks in advance ;)

Sponsored Links
Dont be tempted by the intense courses that tell you can be a plumber in weeks.

You want to get your NVQ2 as a start, but this can take two years. Where it becomes difficult is getting hands on experience. Time being one factor finding an employer another, but its crucial you get some!

Forget it M8.........my C+G`s from 1974 are only fit 4 bog paper :rolleyes: ALL THE PUNTERS WANT is C.O.R.G.I........get that and any know-nothing DIY "plumber" can go out and get the £££££££££in..........serously : leave the skills to die with us old timers :LOL: :LOL: P.S retired @53yrs .......but I don`t reckon you @ 33 can do the same in the "plumbing game" as it is now...with 20 years ahead of you..........YES, do it if you really like it .as I once did :eek: BUT Times Change ;) Better off finding a house on a Non-Flood area and bugeting for the mortgage , find a hobby, enjoy life

Lol thanks for the post Nige ;) .
I just feel in stuck in my work at the moment im trapped hate the bloody job and all the new silly changes. I started the Job 8 years ago just after my first daughter was Born and on starting our first Mortgage . I would have left sooner but it's hard to move from a job that Pays the mortgage .
I prefer working more with my hand's and enjoy detail and more full on job's using your brain etc . I'm feeling if i dont make a move now im gonna be stuck for the rest of my time where i am or doing the same somewhere else . The kid's are older now and i was looking to change before it's too late and plumbing is something ive been interested now for 6 years or so like i say , so thought it might be a good get out of the hole im in now type job . I like the idea of moving around job to job , no 2 jobs the same (well maybe they are sometime's ) and it's a little more brain using and hand's on .
Thing is i've been looking at courses and yes college must be the best way but was wondering if any of these other ype courses where of any use but dont know wich can be trusted and dont believe in these train for 2-3weeks and be fully qualified at the end of it :s what a load or S+++e how can you be qualified in 3 week's when it takes 2years for an
NVQ 2 :s .

Sponsored Links
You have to remember as well that just because you enjoy something as a bit of a hobby, doesn't mean you're going to enjoy it day in day out. But I wish you the best whatever you decide to do.

If you've got a genuine interest then ok, but if its because of what the press reckons we earn then forget it. Only train with a proper body such as c.i.t.b etc.

It's not been a hobby and yes a genuine interest . And definately not looking to earn anything more than what i'm earning now , If i did well that would be a bonus ;) . I done some labouring work wich i did enjoy with a chippy and plasterer and both where great but never took the interest like i have in plumbing , i could'nt stay labouring due to the earning's at time because new family and house so have been doing my current job that was meant to be an inbetween untill i found what i wanted todo but i got stuck in a hole as it kept a roof over my kid's head and still does but i'm in a better position to drop in wage if had to for a while but ultimately find something more enjoyable even though no job is perfect but i can find a job thats more in enjoyable or career .
just i've been putting this of when having a slight chance each time but something has always come up thats made me have to put it off . And now there's more company's offering the training but was looking to see if anyone has gone through a course that is reputable for what it teaches .

IMO any one of them that offers you a classroom based qualification arent worth jack no matter how much they cost

sorry its harder to get into the trade than its ever been, and even if you do manage to get decent training there are more plumbers chasing fewer jobs

Plumbing is over subscribed now and the industry is starting to feel it

I really would strongly suggest that you dont pursue it as the chances are you will only have to pack it in coz you aint earning enough

I don`t know what your earning now ........BUT a little story....the JIB rate for plumbers used to be the same per week gross as a guy changing lightbulbs in the street :eek: :rolleyes: a M8 looked into same job ., back in the 80`s....read my caps ....C>O>R>G>I =£££££. I`ve seen their bills :rolleyes: and the punter`s said to me "You could`ve done it".....course I could , I used to until I lost my sense of smell :LOL: :LOL: and the regs tightened, which is right because of safety....but they are cashing in ;)

Marty,
Basic plumbing isn't too difficult, I worked just a few days with a plumber and he showed me how to bend and solder copper pipe correctly. I've since fitted quite a few bathrooms. If you can solder copper, have a good understanding of waste pipes, and can tile to a reasonable standard. you should have plenty of people wanting your services as a bathroom fitter. try it on your own house first, then take loads of photos , show them to your friends and family and I guarantee* they'll all want one.

* guarantee only valid, if you do an exceptional job on your own home.
good luck.

MartY_sp said:
Hi guy's .

I have taken over the past 6 years quite an interest in plumbing ,

Really? read the papers by any chance?

Iim now thinking of turning this into a career

OOhhh Dear, ooh Dear, OOOOOHHH Dearie me.

and was looking for some advice really .

Go to College then serve your time under a Tradesman.

I left school with no qualification's

OOHH Dearie me..

I love a challenge using my hand's ,

Mebbe give your local plumber a Ham shank :?:

I'm 33 years of age and currently a despatch worker , not a great job

Not on my list of bestest jobs, **** job. Yes.

maybe offer myself to a local plumber or company

I would try College before selling your body.

hope i dont sound a complete idiot and hope maybe someone could point me in the right direction and what i need to be looking for .

All jokes aside, you need a Plumbing Diploma under your belt at least before anyone takes you seriously. Everyone`s clamouring to be a plumber these days, it`s a tough job, trust me I`m a plasterer I`ve seen these guy`s work!

Go to College, Enrol & start a Plumbing course off your own back. Any Employer will take you serious if you are genuinely pursuing a trade.

why ask us

we dont know your state of mind with your current job or the financial ramifications of moving on to summit else

My old dad used to have a saying "if you dont know what to do, make sure you do nuffin till you do"

:)

Sponsored Links
Back