Pluming (not plumbing)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Busy researching possible boiler replacement in the summer (you may have noticed from other posts).

Anyway current location is potentially problematical as it's in the integral garage and the flue points at the neighbours wall 2 meters away, with a fence in the middle and the space inbetween is the side path to both houses. Current flue is only at 1.8m off the ground (could probably just get the new one up to 2.1m).

So i think pluming my be a problem both from the viewpoint of walking through it and it wetting the neighbours wall. This would not be helped by the fact that the garage is single skin so any flue would be very short (only 200mm if a rear flue) - so not much additional condensation would take place in the flue.

So I was looking at the options- plume management kits, part L assessment:

a) Do they work by just re-directing the plume, or does the extra length of cold flue increase condensation in the flue and so reduce the water vapour in the plume (noticeably)?

b) I had a read of the assessment stuff for getting an exception. As our house has windowless sides that are both within 1m of the boundary the alternaive locations are very limited as the back/front of the house have large numbers of windows in the way. When comes down to it the only alternative locations are the airing cupboard or one of the back bedrooms - both would be very disruptive (moving cold water tanks, dismanting wardrobes etc) - but under the assessment rule they may be considered viable locations. Would these be considered viable locations? (I fear they would).

The more I look into this the more difficult it gets - depending how the boiler looks in the summer I'm tempted to go for the ain't broke, don't fix it option (or any repairs that might be needed).

Sponsored Links
Lots of options for a 50k non combi boiler, of different flue types. There are some unusual ones with easier flues. Could use the end wall?

Most plume diverters are just a relatively cheap 60mm plastic pipe, costing a few dozen ££ for a few metres.

Chris - yep have downloaded several sets of installation instructions for 50K boilers - the're all so big compared to our apollo!

A supplementary question - on the basis that the exhaust gasses must be warmer, would I be correct in thinking that a class B boiler will plume less than a class A?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back