Polishing slate floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got slate floor tiles laid in my kitchen and bathroom. They are fairly rustic, i.e. not smooth and with variation in colour, which is how I wanted them. I'd like to polish them so that they are fairly shiny - at the moment, they are quite dusty looking. What is the best way of doing this? I've sealed them already, and applied slate oil, but this seemed to soak in without really doing very much. Is it worth getting a wax polish? Can anyone recommend one? Should I hire a floor polisher as well (the sort that school caretakers use)? Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
you could then call it a skating rink and charge people.

are you SURE polishing them is what you really want to do? my thinking is they will become too slipery

hey benM

what did you seal them with??? i'm going to seal our slate floor (when i can be ar*ed) but haven't really looked into what to use

I want it to be shiny and clean looking, not necessarily slippery.
To seal them I used lithofin slate-seal - very easy to use, clean the floor first, then apply slate seal with a paint roller. It dries fairly quickly (about an hour or so I think) and you can apply multiple coats for better sealing. I got it from the shop I bought the tiles from, but I guess most tile shops would sell it. I think lithofin have a website as well.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back