Polystyrene versus foil/Superquilt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in two minds whether to use polystyrene slabs or multi-foil (e.g. Superquilt) to insulate my loft.

Details as follows:
- 1980's house, currently about 50mm of something grey and hairy scattered between the ceiling joists.
- Ceiling joists are about 100mm deep, I plan to cross-batten with 3x1" laid flat, then put flooring on this for storage and to use the space to house my son's model railway
- Rafters are 70mm deep

My initial plan to improve insulation was:
- Lay 100mm of insultation between the ceiling joists before fixing cross-battens and flooring
- Fix battens onto rafters to increase depth, then fit 50mm polystyrene slabs between the rafters (leaving 50mm air gap between this and the felt)
- Cross-batten over this and fix plasterboard

The disadvantage with this is the loss of head-room which is already limited. An alternative I'm considering:
- Insulate and board floor as before
- Fix something like YBS Superquilt between/under the rafters via the recessed method (http://www.ybsinsulation.com/PDFs/Superquilt.pdf page 5) - recessing 25mm into the rafter void
- Fix plasterboard to the rafters

However, there seems to be a mixed reaction to these multi-foil products.

Does anyone have an (informed) opinion? And is it possible to get grants for any of these?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back