Pond edge paving around butyl liner, a couple of questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just about killed myself digging 10 tons of soil out for my pond. I am now in the process of paving the edge. I have lapped the liner back over the edge to about 8 inches. The slabs are 18inch square. I guess they need to be bedded on mortar. My questions are:

1. Will mortar bond them to plain old soil where the turf once was.

2. What about the butyl, will it bond to that too or will that compromise the bonding area under the slab and make them unstable given that I intend to have a couple of inches of slab overhanging the pond edge

3. Ive been told to put a lime neutraliser in the mix. Has anyone hear of this or any other suggestion to avoid killing any fish I put in the pond.

4.Is 8" excessive for the liner to overlap back under the slabs, can I reduce that at all.

Sponsored Links
The mortar will not physically bond to soil or butyl, it will just take up any unevenness and stop the slabs tipping into the pond if someone steps too close to the edge.

As Greg says a concrete collar gives a firmer base to set the slabs on but they should be dug and poured before the main pond area is excavated so its a bit late now as your liner is in. The rockwork on my pond sits on a reinforced concrete ring beam and is "rock" solid :)

G4 is the most easily available sealer for the mortar, its a clear liquid and you will need to apply three coats then rinse well once it is dry. You should be able to get it from any decent aquatic outlet.

I would have a max of 50mm slab overhanging the edge and make sure the minimum amount of liner is exposed to daylight as the UV rays can deteriorate it.

Keep the 8" of liner that you have under the slabs.

Jason

Thanks guys, it looks like I should have perhaps posted this before I put the liner in and the water!! I think to set to now and make a concrete collar will be a bit difficult. I have overlapped the slabs about 50mm and left 8" of butyl.

Its my first pond and in all honesty I have been given so much advice, good and bad, I just decided to go my own way until I found this site which looks like a good source of info for loads of things.

Im very pleased with how the pool is looking, Ive just started removing turf etc to get the top of the pool and slabs level. I will follow your guidance and hope that bedding them on mortar does the job

Sponsored Links
ashtons99 said:
Thanks guys, it looks like I should have perhaps posted this before I put the liner in and the water!! I think to set to now and make a concrete collar will be a bit difficult. I have overlapped the slabs about 50mm and left 8" of butyl.

Its my first pond and in all honesty I have been given so much advice, good and bad, I just decided to go my own way until I found this site which looks like a good source of info for loads of things.

Im very pleased with how the pool is looking, Ive just started removing turf etc to get the top of the pool and slabs level. I will follow your guidance and hope that bedding them on mortar does the job

I wish you well but I fear slabs on mortar on liner wont stay put very long if you allow anyone (big or small) to walk on them. We used stone boulders we dug out of the hole around ours, which looks more "natural" anyway. I could barely lift 'em so they are not going anywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back