Pool Heater and Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a moral question regarding running power up to an above-ground (=temporary) pool:

I'm planning on running some 10mm2 SWA to power a 9KW pool heater which is approx 40-45 meters from the house/CU. The CU has spare slot protected by a 30ma RCD so I'll stick a 40amp MCB in there and run some 6 or 10mm2 T&E to a metal adaptable box then SWA from there. The heater has a metal controlbox with plastic glands, so I'll just swap that over for a SWA gland and run straight into the control box (so no sockets/junctions near the pool).

Any comments on the above plan are welcome but my main question is regarding Part P. Obviously this is a notifiable project and if it was a permanent pool which would form part of the collateral of the house I wouldn't consider not getting the certificate.

But the fact is that the pool (and thus heater) is temporary and will not be present should we decide to sell/move. Also we are planning an extension on the back of the kitchen so the SWA will need re-working then.

What is everybody's thoughts on certification of this project. Whats the implication of having some non-certified wiring on the property. Does it have an effect on the house insurance for example?

Sponsored Links
Look, I can fully understand the need to keep costs low- but (here comes my rant).........

FFS will your kids or wife swim in the pool :eek: :eek:

Have a word with a part P sparks, tell him that you intend to run the SWA and the other intermediary TW to the consumer unit. Get him to terminate, test and certify.

Then all the insurance is covered (death or injury insurance won't pay out if you, your family or friends get hurt due to faults on your work) and the installer becomes liable for the work and it's safety.

Do it right, be safe and enjoy the swimming :LOL:

OK, OK - I'll ring a few sparks.

Sheesh, can't a guy even try to electrocute his wife without the local building control sticking their noses in nowadays :evil:

Sponsored Links
abriggs said:
OK, OK - I'll ring a few sparks.

Sheesh, can't a guy even try to electrocute his wife without the local building control sticking their noses in nowadays :evil:

Well no, but it is a good suggestion for the guy who's missus wanted the lights in the patio. SWMBO's that get ideas above their station should be sent to your gaff for a "swim"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back