Poor Cistern Flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The flush that I geet from my cistern is pretty weak. Sometimes it will take 3 flushes to clear the toilet. Therre seems to be poor pressure when the toilet is flushed. The cistern fills from a gravity tank and not from the mains.

Any ideas on how I can improve this?

Sponsored Links
the syphon wants replacing. this is the large plastic thing in the middle of the cistern that the handle attaches to. they have a large plastic flap inside that gets worn and doesn't make a good seal. you can buy a new one, it comes with all instructions, or you now can buy a Flapper Valve which (in my opinion) is a better replacement.

It is possible to repair the old syphon, but this will take you longer. You might think about repairing the old one and keeping it as a spare.

Thanks, JohnD. Is the flapper valve a straight replacement and what makes it better?

unless its a 2 part syphon u'll have to take the cistern apart...take the old syphon to plumbers merchants and buy a new one (treat ur self)

Sponsored Links
The flapper has hardly any moving or wearing parts. I believe that the early designs were prone to leak, but the new ones are water industry approved. If you have the handle on the front of the cistern either of these will do, if the handle is on the side, get the push-button one.

p2938193_l.jpg
or
p2635226_l.jpg

the ordinary syphon looks like this
p2634964_l.jpg
measure the old one if going this way as there are two heights

I recently heard from someone who found the old rubber washer at the base of the cistern had perished, so you might like to get one of these just in case
p1077886_m.jpg

Any of these costs only a few pounds (s/be less than £10)

While you've got the cistern off you might like to renew the inlet valve too, to save having to do it another time. "Torbeck" and "Fluidmaster" valves are smaller and extremely quiet.

Thanks, guys. I had hoped that I wouldn't need to dismantle the cistern but no such luck :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just checked the cistern.....I notice that only half the contents of the cistern flushes. Is this part of the same problem?

worn out leaky plastic flap. Go on, treat yourself like Jamie says!

erskine said:
Thanks, guys. I had hoped that I wouldn't need to dismantle the cistern but no such luck :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just checked the cistern.....I notice that only half the contents of the cistern flushes. Is this part of the same problem?
Probably an old dual flush.you have to hold the handle down to get the full flush..replace anyway with the valve on the Right of those pictures ;)

I did this job this week. It took me an hour including the glitch.

Cystern removed: undid two screws holding it to wall, 2 wingnuts holding it to bowl and undid connections to inlet and overflow pipework.

Then found that the new syphon would not fit. It was similar to one shown in bottom of the three pictures. Existing one had a round flap valve arrangement rather than oblong as shown in pic and cystern is a narrow one.

What to do? 8.30 on Tuesday night! Hunted house and garage until I found a piece of plastic of same thickness and cut a piece using old split flap valve as template. Replaced flap valve, reassembled cystern, good as new. (pro temp)

Why do experts recommend complete new syphon as the flap valve is only working part? Do merchants/sheds not sell these separately? Can the seals in the non syphon types in pics be serviced without removing cystern.

Need answers to be prepared for next time.

Nige F said:
Probably an old dual flush.you have to hold the handle down to get the full flush..replace anyway with the valve on the Right of those pictures ;)

I don't think that it is. If I hold the handle down it makes no difference. But if I block the valve with my finger it does empty.

jobloggs said:
Why do experts recommend complete new syphon as the flap valve is only working part? Do merchants/sheds not sell these separately? Can the seals in the non syphon types in pics be serviced without removing cystern.

yes, you can buy the flaps. However you can buy a complete new syphon for £3.80 http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=44047&ts=91391

So you can do the dismantle/remove old/fit new/reassemble very quickly, and have the WC back in service.

I think I suggested mending the old one and keeping it as a spare? I always keep a few spare bits and pieces handy.

(I need a shed)

jobloggs said:
Can the seals in the non syphon types in pics be serviced without removing cystern.

The Flapper valve (my first pic) has no seals, it's incredibly simple, it's basically just a hinged, floating bath plug above the flushing pipe. The handle lifts the plug, the water gushes out, when it's all done, the plug flops back. Incredibly simple, almost nothing to wear out or go wrong. I haven't taken the other one apart, but I think it's almost as simple.

Recommended new Valve (not syphon) because the valves allow a much better flush (from a one finger push button)using less water ;)Original poster needed 3 flushes from a syphon :cry: 1 will do from the valve I suggested.........if not I`ll send them the £7.oo difference in cost between the two :LOL:

erskine said:
I don't think that it is. If I hold the handle down it makes no difference. But if I block the valve with my finger it does empty.

It might be one of those with an adjustable flush. They had a bung or a plastic cap that was removable. If fitted, full flush. If removed, half flush. You might even find it (white plastic piece) lying at the bottom of the cistern.

p.s. and like Nige, I now prefer the modern thing, as I illustrated.

Flash italics :LOL: ..jobloggs.I`ve used a piece of fertiliser bag before now .... ;) you gotta be inventive out here in the stix.........and bent some threequater barrel in the fork of a tree ,too :eek: P.S yes the new ones are fully servicable from inside cistern just a bayonett socket holds it all in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back