poor hot water flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have quite a poor hot water flow throughout my new property (except one hot tap downstairs), is there anyway to boost my hot water flow as it draws off the hot water cylinder, so all my hot taps will flow better.

I have a Gloworm boiler (not combi), 2 cold water tanks and a hot water cylinder, a 3 port valve (already changed this), and a heating pump.

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
Its either the header tanks that are not high enough or the diameter of the DHW draw off which is undersized.

Stan

pannierstan said:
Its either the header tanks that are not high enough or the diameter of the DHW draw off which is undersized.

Stan

The hot water draw off is in 22mm, and the cylinder is in the airing cupboard, not the loft so yes this may be the case. I don't really want to go to the expense of moving everything into the loft, is there no pump that can be used on the 22mm draw off to boost all the hot water points?

thanks again

As far as you can see it is! What about under the floors.

Main thing to do to improve gravity DHW is to raise the head of water if flow is not good enough.

Not to sure on booster pumps. Perhaps someone else can tell you :?:

Stan

Sponsored Links
It's possible that your outlets (except for the downstairs tap) have had high pressure fittings put on, and so will not work properly on your low pressure system. It has nothing to do with your heating pump or 3 port valve. Is it a brand new house? and if not does it look as though the previous owners have done the bathroom up prior to selling?

Check that the slow taps haven't got unscrewable ends to the spouts. These can trap scale etc.

You should be able to use a shower pump to improve the pressure.

However you are likely to need a negative head version.

Tony

Scoured the net, would a Grundfos UPA 15-90 Domestic Water Boosting Pump work?

The house isn't a new one, the bathroom has the worse flow (nearest to the cylinder).

Any help on the "Grundfos UPA 15-90 Domestic Water Boosting Pump" would be appreciated. I would be intending to fit this on the hot water draw off so it supplies the whole house.

Thanks

llahuts3791 said:
Hi, I have quite a poor hot water flow throughout my new property ,

So you have changed you mind about it being a new property then?

The 15-90 is unlikely to start up automatically with a poor flow rate. Although you could always leave it on continuously I suppose.

Tony

OP it's not the hot water cylinder that need's raising, but the CWS tank in the loft (you mention you have 2 in loft, it's the biger one)

Your tap downstairs is ok so it would indicate this is the problem)

It would be far less problematic to have a go at raising this tank if possible IMO

HTH Sam

As pannierstan said, way back, it's either the head or a constriction.

Measure the vertical distance from the base of the large cistern in the loft to the lowest of the hot taps that is giving poor flow. If this is less than one metre then the head is insufficient.

If you're up for it, then cut into, or uncouple, the pipework coming from the top of the cylinder (having shut off the cold feed), then measure the flow that you can get directly from the cylinder. If it's more than you're getting from a tap at a similar level, then this indicates a probable constriction.

Agile said:
llahuts3791 said:

Tony

Sorry, meant the property was new to me. Thanks for all your help, i will raise the tank into the loft as it's currently in the airing cupboard.

llahuts3791 said:
Agile said:
llahuts3791 said:

Tony

Sorry, i'm not the best at explaining things, meant the property was new to me. Thanks for all your help, i will raise the cold water tank into the loft as it's currently in the airing cupboard with the cylinder, obviously i will leave the cylinder where it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back