Poor old rose.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Cornwall, which isnt a greta place to grow roses, they seem to get a lot of mold due i think to damp and clean air. Anyway, outside the kitchen there is a big climbing rose which has had leaves for a couple of months, it looked healthy and good until last week. Now its shedding leaves had black spot and huge amounts of green fly... Acording to the next door neigbour it was once a riot of pink flowers but for the last few years has been very tired looking... any sugestions?

Sponsored Links
Spray it. I live on the South Coast so air is v clean and warm, fairly damp, get plenty of lichen, mildew etc (and insects).

Perhaps it is weakened as well, e,g, root damage, or old wood needing to be pruned, hard.

Roses love to be pruned, preferably much harder than you would believe possible.

I got some rose spray today, says it kills green fly /black fly and black spot and mildew.. i think your right though it needs a hard prune. and soem TLC around the roots...cheers.

It will probably need spraying again in a couple of weeks, the instructions will say the interval. If it has been badly hit, it will benefit from several sprays this year.

With Black Spot, you have to spray the new leaves before they get infected, and it will be growing new ones pretty fast now.

The spores will also splash up from the ground in heavy rain (surprisingly). You can mulch heavily with lawn mowings if you like, it suppresses weeds as well, and will rot down to brown quite quickly, then the worms will take it down and improve the soil for you.

Sponsored Links
sprayed it today, smelt like coal tar soap. A couple of hours latter the green fly looked destinctly dead... cheers for the advice.

Hooray! we love a happy ending :D

make a note in your diary to do it again in a couple of weeks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back