pop noise whilst testing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im an apprentice electrician and was doing some loop testing and some fault current testing yesterday.

when doing this testing where my probes were on the circuit there was a crack/pop noise at the end of the test(just before i got the reading).

the electrician didnt know what it was when i asked him, anyone know what the noise is down to?

Sponsored Links
it was on a 3 phase board not a lighting circuit.

just wondered if there was any danger or reason for the noise?

Sponsored Links
It sound like a bad / dirty connection between your test lead, and the earth of the circuit you were testing.

When carrying out an EFLI test your tester allows a current to flow to earth, and it is probably the current flow making a connection that made the pop sound (If that makes sense)

Have you ever connected / seen a live wire connected to a load, and heard the crackle and seen the spark? This is a similar occourence.

You don't work with this bloke do you?
photo72.jpg

would put it down to a bad connection aswell. ive had this before myself on 'dirty' terminals.

its even pitted / marked the end of my test probes before :mad:

always press on firmly and contact a point that is 'clean'.

......well its either that or the beans! :LOL:

BAS, please could you post or send me a link to the site the videos came from.

Adam_151 said:
Do you want some links to the videos with girls in?... I find them a little more interesting ;) )

Cheers Adam.

I think I need to get out more as I find stuff like this fascinating :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back