Porcelain tiles in en-suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preparing to tile the floor of our en-suite with shiny black 20"x20" porcelain tiles. Our en-suite is upstairs so I'll be tiling onto floorboards. The floorboards are an MDF type material if I'm not mistaken, so I attached a thin layer of plywood on top of this, and I will be using flexible adhesive.

How long should I leave the tiles before walking on them? It says on the box of the tiles to avoid traffic on the tiles for 2 weeks! Is this not a bit excessive?

Also, where should I start the tiling, at the middle of the floor?

Is there anything I should be mindful of when using porcelain tiles? Any tips would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
blueharvester said:
I am preparing to tile the floor of our en-suite with shiny black 20"x20" porcelain tiles. Our en-suite is upstairs so I'll be tiling onto floorboards. The floorboards are an MDF type material if I'm not mistaken, so I attached a thin layer of plywood on top of this, and I will be using flexible adhesive.
Yes but use 12mm WBP ply.

blueharvester said:
How long should I leave the tiles before walking on them? It says on the box of the tiles to avoid traffic on the tiles for 2 weeks! Is this not a bit excessive?
Depending on the adhesive you use it could be as little as 3 hrs.

blueharvester said:
Also, where should I start the tiling, at the middle of the floor?
Yes, read the sticky.

blueharvester said:
Is there anything I should be mindful of when using porcelain tiles? Any tips would be much appreciated!
Because porcelain isn't very porous, you need to use an adhesive that's suitable for porcelain tiles. Your ordinary adhesive won't get a proper grip of the tiles.
Porcelain is tougher to cut that your regular ceramic tiles - if you're using a score and snap type of cutter, then you need a good one. If using a diamond blade then just be mindful that it'll take a little longer to cut porclain tiles. Drilling through porcelain is best done with diamond grit holesaws - masonary bits burn out unless you drill slowly with coolant.
Think that just about covers it. ;)

Make sure prior to grouting that these tiles do not need sealing. (usually chinese polished porcelain). I've recently got some samples for a job and the chinese ones failed the water test.

Sponsored Links
I've read the sticky on where to start the tiling and it says start in the middle and "walk" the tiles to the edge... However, the ensuite floor that I am tiling is very narrow and at it's narrowest point i.e. where the shower juts out, there is room for exactly two full tiles. I've taken a few pictures of some tiles laid out on the ensuite floor, you can view the pictures here.

Should I still start at the centre of the floor or should I put the two full tiles at the narrowest point and work backwards?

Hmmm I can see your problem. :confused: This is one of those occasions where you have to make a decision about what looks best. Strictly speaking, you should still start from the middle and work outwards. Your centre tile would straddle the centre of the room leaving equal tiles at the wider part of the room. This woud leave an "L" shaped tile around the corner and a couple of thinner tiles at the shower. You have to see how it would look from your viewpoint of walking into the room - which would leap out at you most - a couple of thinnish tiles round the corner of the shower or uneven tiles at the door area?
Be careful with laying the tiles in the other direction too - ideally you want a full or almost full tile at the door way where your carpet finishes, but you don't want a sliver at the far end cause that'll leap out at you too.
Have you thought about laying the tiles in a diamond pattern - i.e. 45°??? ;)

gcol said:
Hmmm I can see your problem. :confused: This is one of those occasions where you have to make a decision about what looks best. Strictly speaking, you should still start from the middle and work outwards. Your centre tile would straddle the centre of the room leaving equal tiles at the wider part of the room. This woud leave an "L" shaped tile around the corner and a couple of thinner tiles at the shower. You have to see how it would look from your viewpoint of walking into the room - which would leap out at you most - a couple of thinnish tiles round the corner of the shower or uneven tiles at the door area?
Be careful with laying the tiles in the other direction too - ideally you want a full or almost full tile at the door way where your carpet finishes, but you don't want a sliver at the far end cause that'll leap out at you too.
Have you thought about laying the tiles in a diamond pattern - i.e. 45°??? ;)
I just decided to go with the full tile straight down the middle. I have all the tiles cut and laid out on the floor so it's just a matter of getting them down proper now with adhesive.

How can I ensure that the tiles will be totally flush with each other when laying them on the adhesive? Spirit level? Should I also use a rubber hammer or just use my hands to pressure the tiles down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back