Possible subsidence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I am in the process of buying a terraced 2 up 2 down Victorian house which is on a slight hill and resides inbetween two houses, one being end of terrace house.

It turns out that the end of terrace house had subsidence and work was carried out in 2000 on the partition wall, that is the wall that ajoins that house and the one I'm wanting to buy. Alos, the vendor claims that an insurance report stated that the property didn't have subsidence, but I have no way of proving that unless the vendor can provide the proper documentation.

I've commissioned a 'Head line Building Survey' - this is a Home Buyer's Survey with knobs on, it'll tell me if it really has subsidence and if it needs sorting out right now. While I'm waiting for that to come through I wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter.

I've done a postcode search and it shows that it's in a High Risk area for potential subsidence.

I'm not totally freaked out by subsidence, it's a bit of a bogey word. I figure if it has got subsidence then I'll only buy the place if the vendor knocks down the price to accomodate the cost of getting it fixed.

However, should I be really worried?? Should I ditch this house which seems structurally sound to me and my parents. And my parents aren't first time buyers...

Sponsored Links
A building survey won't tell you much. Bloody rip-off. Wander round for 30 mins looking bored - then charge you a grand!
What matters is whether any movement is recent. Are there fresh-looking cracks? Has any pointing been done recently? Put a long spirit level across a line of brick - are they level? Most houses have some kind of movement over the years and the drier summers are making the clay shrink - hence more cracks.
Talk to locals and see what they say.

joe

If it's a hundred years old, it's probably done most of its moving by now, unless something's recently happened, like an excavation, long-term water leak, big trees grown or cut down.

If the vendor has told you something, and not provided evidence, make sure he understands that you need to see the documents. If he won't show you, it probably isn't true. you'll find the contract for sale of the house excludes any warranty of condition and anything he might have told you.

A local surveyor, or an established family builders, will probably have seen hundreds of houses of that type, in those streets, and will know very well if they suffer from subsidence.

Sponsored Links
Hi
If you know a friendly structural engineer?? It wouldnt put me off, BUT and its a very big BUT insurance may be a problem especially if you're aware that there could be a problem, then you can't answer the question truthfully of are there any known problems (ie subsidence etc) no insurance (and I hate to say this but tick yes in that box and 99% of insurers wouldnt touch you with a barge pole) no insurance = unmortgageable.
If theres any doubt get the seller to cough up for a report, or at least go halves, my structural engineer charged me approx £100 for the last trip out he did along with an off the record chat.
My last house had just been underpinned when I bought it, it really did put off a lot of buyers when I was selling, which was ridiculous considering it had the best set of foundations in the street :D
JohnD is right with his advice.

Ok,

If the surveyor thinks the property has structural problems he will suggest a structural engineers survey. Next time you view the property check a few things yourself, most are quite obvious:

Do the floors slope in any area of the house?
Are all the gaps around the doors when closed roughly even?
Has the staircase moved, ie is there a large gap beside the stair runner?
Any large cracks in any of the walls? (large as in more than 3mm)
Does the property have a rear extension/concervatory? if so check how well its tied into the existing building
Check the roof line from other side of street.
Any cracks externally (especially around bay windows and near lintels)?

Have fun.

thank you all for your helpful comments, am going to nick my dad's spirit level and if it does have subsidence I'll just have to bat the estate agent round the head with it to make me feel better. :D (and not buy the place)

Now... what do you lot know about damp? I'll keep you posted!

What kind of damp do you believe that you have? Rising? :evil:

yes, the great rising damp debate. :confused:

Right now the house doesn't have damp. It has been injected, so far I've only seen drill holes in the outside walk of the kitchen so no not sure if the partition walls have been done too. There is a chemical smell in the house and i'm sure whether it's the stuff to treat damp or just the smelly student tennants that are living there at the moment.

The vendors have submitted a very bizarre damp certificate which looks like it's been desktop published on a ZX81. It doesn't have a date on it either but is a guarentee for 30 years.

DO walk away Renee..............the Smoke is a rip off@ the best of times :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back