Post hole borer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a lot of country style fencing to do over the next few weeks and was considering hiring a powered post hole borer - I understand that you can get 1 man or 2 man machines.
Does anybody have any experience with them or recomendations of what is good or bad? I would prefer the 1 man option as it is unlikely I will have another pair of hands available all the time & someone I spoke with in a hire shop said the 2 man would throw a single person to the ground!

Any thoughts comments welcomed.
Thanks
Don

Sponsored Links
these is easyonly ones i have seen are like giant auger bits, two man operation much easier.

mind you, one of
1.jpg
these makes life easy

You need one with a clutch, I'm sure you seen the "you've been framed" video of the two hapless guys spinning around in the air after the auger has jammed :D most amusing :D

Thanks Guys,
Yeh I guess I'd better make sure the other half hasn't got the video camera set up ready to catch the hapless DIY enthusiast! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
In my limited experience the two man job is too powerful for one man to handle and the one man jobs are too feeble, mind you I have struggled in clay with the two man one also.
If you have loads to do consider hiring a mini digger with an attachment.

Thanks. I've been trying to decide whether to hire (about £80 - 90 for a week) or buy. That's why I was looking for any experiences.
Cheers
Don

We used to hire these 2 man borers quite often. When going into soft or sandy soil they can't be beaten. When you hit a rock though, it nearly wrenches your arms out of their sockets trying to stop the handle spinning. Unfortunately this means that every time you use one you are completely tensed up both mentally and physically waiting for the b*stard thing to hit something.
We were once digging a hole on the Royal Cornwall showground and about 2' down it wouldn't go any further in. We figured we were right on top of a rock and so put all our weight on it to try and break or dislodge the rock. After about 30 seconds drilling we noticed the earth around the auger was changing colour so we pulled it out of the ground, thus allowing a jet of water from a punctured main to shoot out of the hole.

I would think a one-man tool would be ok as long as the ground is soft and rock-free. I agree with chappers that you shouldn't use a 2 man one on your own as they are both heavy and powerful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back